Software > Software

Computer scavenging....

<< < (2/7) > >>

Eco19R:
Uh if it works don't take it apart - build a base that could carry it and you have got yourself a processor thats more powerful then the micro-controllers you can purchase - of course it also is much much heavier and requires more power.

NOOBinDistress:
What dont take a part.... the computer or the monitor.... I will  take your advies on that not to take it apart but what about the monitor.... Anything good in there?

Eco19R:
Don't take apart the computer, I don't know about the monitor. I try to dispose of my used electronics in an environmentally friendly way which is taking them to the recycling center. Old CRT monitors can have enough voltage in the capacitors to kill you not to mention any toxic substances that may have been used when it was originally made - I took apart an old VCR back from 10 years ago and I couldn't breathe right for 5 days afterword, I am not sure what was in it but what ever it was - it was not good to breathe in.

If you feel adventurous I am sure you could pull some use-full stuff off the monitor - just be care-full

Steve Joblin:
I would really stay away from taking apart a monitor... there are very large capacitors that store extremely high voltages that can KILL YOU!  The only "useful" parts are the electronic components, and quite frankly, it just isn't worth it... the chemicals in the picture tube are toxic and one wrong slip a screwdriver will land you in a grave... STAY AWAY FROM TAKING APART A MONITOR (or TV for that matter!)

maverick monk:

--- Quote from: Eco19R on June 19, 2007, 05:00:59 PM ---Old CRT monitors can have enough voltage in the capacitors to kill you
--- End quote ---

very true, my dad got blown across the room (literaly) from the discharge of touching the wrong thing wile working on a tv...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version