go away spammer

Author Topic: Impact Loads into motors  (Read 2815 times)

Offline CentaurTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Impact Loads into motors
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience with impact loads transferring directly into a gearbox/motor?

I'm in the process of designing my first robot, and I noticed that almost every robot out there has the wheels attached directly to the output shaft of the motor/gearbox, and many of the wheels are unprotected.  So what happens if your robot runs full speed into something like a table leg with the wheel taking the brunt of the impact?  Doesn't this damage the gearbox?

If you use soft pneumatic rubber wheels, or air filled tires they would cushion some of the blow... 
I think I'm going to put a protective bumper around my wheels, but I was just wondering what everyone else does.  I'm also curious if anyone has ever ruined a motor/gearbox from this.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.  ~E.F. Schumacker

Offline frank26080115

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Impact Loads into motors
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 09:00:11 PM »
robot's are not usually very heavy or are very fast, so the impact doesn't damage the shaft or bearings inside the motor. it's usually not a problem.

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »
robot's are not usually very heavy or are very fast

Hi
You should checkout the DARPA grand challenge vehicles for size (teramax) and speed (most of them).
Also check out crusher (really heavy, really large)
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
This is the #1 way to break the gears on a servo.

Actually, there are simple equations to determine what force is needed to break the teeth on a gear. Its mechE 101 really, just google around for it. You will need to know the exact dimensions/material of those gears, too.

In reality, a good motor datasheet should specifically say how much force the motor can handle. And those gears should be able to properly handle it.

Adding shocks for the proper collision frequency could help a bit, too.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list