Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

How to secure shafts?

<< < (3/3)

jwatte:
Thanks, Waltr! I'll try that next time.

So, yeah, I learned single point threading, and it went pretty well. Until I hit a "bump" caused by "deferred maintenance" on the lathe at the workshop -- sometimes, it false double starts. Even though I hit the dial indicator just right, it decides to start half off, and take off the entire thread I've been building up, burn my tapping oil to smoke, and snap off the shaft. Grr.

So, yeah. Clips! Good idea! I hadn't thought of that until you said it. It's off to McMaster I go. I'll have to be precise in measuring where the clips will go, or perhaps use some washers to pad it out. Also, I'll need some more quarter inch centerless ground 303 rod...

waltr:
Agrrr...been there.
Good luck on your next try.

Gertlex:
Painful was what came to mind when you initially mentioned threads on stainless steel.  I had enough trouble with aluminum (and maybe did soft steel too?)... Been a few years since I touched those machines, though, so didn't say anything, hehe.

jwatte:
Actually, I kind-of enjoyed the threading while it was going well. Without that indicator problem, I would have totally made it!
(I think the problem is actually with the gear for the start indicator; it might be missing a tooth or be loose or something...)

Just shaving .015 off each side to take .250 down to .220 for fitting C clips will be a piece of cake by comparison. I have new rods and C clips coming from McMaster any day now :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version