Author Topic: Microcontroller and internet  (Read 1803 times)

Offline fireintheitTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Microcontroller and internet
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
I was wondering what is the physical hardware needed to connect a microcontroller with TCP/IP to a network. I am planning on having a client program run on the microcontroller that will make request to my computer.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Microcontroller and internet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
The simplest solution is to get a UART-to-Ethernet adapter, that lets you receive (and send) data from a network to a serial port.
Anything like http://www.usconverters.com/rs232-ethernet-converter or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KM6XNU6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KM6XNU6&linkCode=as2&tag=enchage-20 might work.
It's not clear whether the microcontroller must be able to initiate something like a HTTP request, or whether it's OK that the computer initiates a regular TCP connection.

For other microcontrollers, there may be adapters, eval boards, or shields available. The specifics depend on the particular microcontroller you're using. Some have almost all of the pieces built in, and just need a PHY to attach to the wires; others may need to talk to a more complete peripheral using something like SPI.

Offline fireintheitTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
If I get the PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit and run a client program on it, will the client program be able to communicate with a server on my PC?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I have no idea. You should ask the PIC sales people or check the documentation for that kit. I would assume "yes, assuming you write the right software," because Ethernet isn't very useful without actually being able to talk to other things.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list