go away spammer

Author Topic: a simple robotics project  (Read 5929 times)

Offline dmehlingTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
a simple robotics project
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
I am totally new to robotics and I need some helpful advice for the project I'm working on.  It is a very simple robotic arm with 2 degrees of freedom powered by two motors.  I want it to execute a very simple sequence of about four steps, activated by the push of a button.  What is the best type of kit or system to use?  I am thinking about using a basic stamp, but I really have no preference.  My budget is no more than $500. 
Also, I mentioned that input would come by a button, but I would like to try and have it be voice-activated.  The only way I think I could do this is by having a simple software program that is voice-activated which would control this robotic arm.  Is it very complicated to have all input for control be activated by software?

Offline NOOBinDistress

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: a simple robotics project
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:02:34 PM »
If you are a total noob like me just do the 50 dollar robot kit. It is much cheaper. Afterwards just make more robots when you kinda know what you are doing.(not that I know what I am doing) 8)

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:45:40 PM »
I am looking for the simplest method of controlling two motors for my robotic arm.  All I am wanting to do is to have the arm perform a simple sequence of four steps which would execute at the single press of a button.  I would really like to have the input be given from a computer program so that it can be voice-activated.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
mcu and have the steps programed into it. use servo's for the motion.  I'm sure certain mcu's can handle the task of voice activation,.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:31:02 PM »
dmehling- please try to keep all posts on the same topic in the same thread, and try not to double post if possible
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »
You can find good information about speech control of a robot in this book:
McGraw-Hill - Robots Androids and Animatrons by John Lovine
Projects are PIC based and programmed in Pbasic, however a more experienced programmer can easily translate the programs in C.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
mcu and have the steps programed into it. use servo's for the motion.  I'm sure certain mcu's can handle the task of voice activation,.

But how would I have the microcontroller setup so the input to activate it would be given by a software program?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »
once software want the process to start it sends out a high signal out of the parralel port or whatever, and once the MCU receives that it does the preprogrammed steps. once it's done it waits for the signal again
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:01:19 AM »
Where would I find a software program that would take care of that process? I need a very simple program that doesn't require programming.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »
a method to control servos through USB, all source code provided for you:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/25
(provided by dunk and his awesome-ness)

note: I merged the double posts together in to one

Get Your Ad Here