Author Topic: Where to buy good Gearhead Motors?  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Brandon121233Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Where to buy good Gearhead Motors?
« on: April 18, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if anyone knows like a reliable brand, or online store to buy decent but cheap DC gearhead motors. I have always used servos in the past, but this time I'm looking for a little more power and speed than a sub $40 servo can give me. I'm looking for a gearhead that has pretty close to 160-200 RPM, and rated above 100 oz/in torque. Also it would be nice if it was rather quiet, I have a gearhead that practically wakes the dead with all its screeching. And yes I have tried looking on google there are just so many places and brands to chose from, I'm overwhelmed  :o
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
Re: Where to buy good Gearhead Motors?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:08:19 AM »
Here's a reliable site I readily use:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=50

And I put in a search on Thomas Register and got a list of 25 gear motor manufacturers.  Here they are:

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?cov=NA&what=Gearhead+Motors&heading=33546508&navsec=prodsearch

Maybe one or two could prove some use.

Good luck!   ;D

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:01:44 AM »
http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=50

For building small robots, Lynxmotion is hard to beat. If you're in Canada, you can get most of their motors at http://www.robotshop.ca

- Jon

Offline 555 timer chip guy

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots and Circuits
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:45:02 PM »
go to www.jameco.com then have a great selection.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »
Also, this dosent have to do with motors, but I dont want to start a new thread- Waht are your opionions on Li-Ion-Poly batteries. Do you think they are really cost effective vs. a bunch of 1.2V NiMH batteries?

—Thomas Edison

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »
Yes, considering they don't get memory as you recharge/use them.

They're just an issue of money.  You don't get the memory, but you get the debts

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:13:19 PM »
Yes, considering they don't get memory as you recharge/use them.

They're just an issue of money.  You don't get the memory, but you get the debts

NiMH don't have the memory effect, only NiCads do.   ::)  And it's more than an issue of money.  If you don't know what you're doing, you could end up with some flaming/exploding Li-ion batteries on your hands.   Just stay away from them unless you plan on thoroughly researching them and being real careful.  NiMH are the way to go. 
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »
In that case, are there any like exotic sized battery packs that are small NiMH, but can supply around 6-9 volts, something better than a rechargeable 9V because 9V's usually have less than 500mAh?

—Thomas Edison

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:03:12 AM »
In that case, are there any like exotic sized battery packs that are small NiMH, but can supply around 6-9 volts, something better than a rechargeable 9V because 9V's usually have less than 500mAh?

Definitely.  On the main SOR website, there are links to several battery sites that cell all sorts of NiMH battery packs.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 12:54:15 PM »
I think I answered my own question with gearheads- I found this site http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2651-Robotics.aspx which has excellent gearheads at even better prices http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2882-DC-Motors.aspx.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »
NiMH don't have the memory effect, only NiCads do.     And it's more than an issue of money.  If you don't know what you're doing, you could end up with some flaming/exploding Li-ion batteries on your hands.   Just stay away from them unless you plan on thoroughly researching them and being real careful.  NiMH are the way to go.
I 2nd this.
But I think lithium will be the future of robot batteries for the next decade. If you have some experience with using other batteries in circuits, I highly recommend doing a lot of research on lithium and seriously consider getting them.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 07:39:43 PM »
Yeah, I won't have any problems getting them to work, I know my way around the electrical part of robots rather well; I was just pondering that Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries can supposedly last up to 40% longer ( I don't mean a "memory effect" all batteries even NiMH die in about 4-6 years if used heavily), and that they can rapidly supply lots of current without overheating in comparison to NiMH. At this point I'm just going to look for a 7-12 volt pack, and buy whatever is the cheapest (probably NiMH).

—Thomas Edison

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 09:08:23 PM »
I think within a year or two that lithium will be the cheapest and the best . . . if only they include 'smart electronics' built in to handle charging I would also say easiest . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list