go away spammer

Author Topic: New Arduino?  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Hawaii00000Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
New Arduino?
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
I went to the Arduino page yesterday and saw this....
http://arduino.cc/en/

Wonder what they're "cooking up?"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:03:35 PM by Hawaii00000 »
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: New Arduino?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
I know they have been working on the next generation of Arduino for a while now, guess it's close to show time.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Here's a gem from the comments on DIYdrones; i knew some here would get a kick out of it:

Top 10 Improvements on the new Arduino:

10. Pin placements have been randomized. ".1 inch centers are for sissies" the team decided.
9. Replaced Serial communication with Baudot-code "This serial stuff is too modern" they said. "now we are compatible with Morkum brand teletype machines.
8. Moved the power pins to the Back side of the board. "having the power pins 3 inches from the other pins wasn't far enough; and a 4 wire expansion port is absurd, now people can make Arduino Sandwiches if they want to extend the framework."
7. Moved the reset button underneath the cpu. "It was just getting pressed all the time, especially with that Serial port thing."
6. Made the board bigger. SMD allows us to maximize the negative space, and we feel the new design needed more emptiness.
5. Convinced Freescale and others to drop step-though debugging. We felt we couldn't implement step-through on our Markum terminals, so we got the guys at Freescale hammered and convinced them Step-through was a waste of time.
4. Disconnected 2 more ADC pins, 6 was more than most people needed, and the 8 available on the SMD chip would just be confusing, so we decided to go with 4 ADC pins.
3. Moved to 7 volts. We just felt that the sensors and other components people were using with Arduino could benefit by extra voltage, and hey the Markums use 7 volts so why not?
1. (ideas?)

2. Removed the last trace of line numbers in the IDE, and implemented more artist-friendly sonnets and sentences instead.

1. Put LEDS on every pin; the one on 13 wasn't enough. Don't you want to see what EVERY pin is doing?

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Here's a gem from the comments on DIYdrones; i knew some here would get a kick out of it:

Top 10 Improvements on the new Arduino:

10. Pin placements have been randomized. ".1 inch centers are for sissies" the team decided.
9. Replaced Serial communication with Baudot-code "This serial stuff is too modern" they said. "now we are compatible with Morkum brand teletype machines.
8. Moved the power pins to the Back side of the board. "having the power pins 3 inches from the other pins wasn't far enough; and a 4 wire expansion port is absurd, now people can make Arduino Sandwiches if they want to extend the framework."
7. Moved the reset button underneath the cpu. "It was just getting pressed all the time, especially with that Serial port thing."
6. Made the board bigger. SMD allows us to maximize the negative space, and we feel the new design needed more emptiness.
5. Convinced Freescale and others to drop step-though debugging. We felt we couldn't implement step-through on our Markum terminals, so we got the guys at Freescale hammered and convinced them Step-through was a waste of time.
4. Disconnected 2 more ADC pins, 6 was more than most people needed, and the 8 available on the SMD chip would just be confusing, so we decided to go with 4 ADC pins.
3. Moved to 7 volts. We just felt that the sensors and other components people were using with Arduino could benefit by extra voltage, and hey the Markums use 7 volts so why not?
1. (ideas?)

2. Removed the last trace of line numbers in the IDE, and implemented more artist-friendly sonnets and sentences instead.

1. Put LEDS on every pin; the one on 13 wasn't enough. Don't you want to see what EVERY pin is doing?

I swear I've been forced to make that product...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
lol seriously . . . the Axon II has 4x the features, yet its half the size!

If I were to design the Arduino, it'd be 1"x1", with full 3 pin headers, all ADC broken out, the works - no joke. ::)

anyway:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=12224.0

Offline Hawaii00000Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »
Don't be too hard on Arduino. It was my first MCU after all.
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
lol seriously . . . the Axon II has 4x the features, yet its half the size!

If I were to design the Arduino, it'd be 1"x1", with full 3 pin headers, all ADC broken out, the works - no joke. ::)

anyway:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=12224.0

First of all, for some people size doesn't really matter (no pun intended). And one advantage of using a DIP28 package for the MCU is to allow the user to easily changed if bricked/fried.
If you want a small package, there are small, arduino compatible board available.

Anyway, comparing the axon and the arduino is irrelevant, in my opinion they don't target they don't target the same "market"

Chelmi.

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
Lady Ada had a good breakdown of the Uno,

http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/unofaq.html

Get Your Ad Here