go away spammer

Author Topic: Problem: How to fix uneven header rows on $50 Robot?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
Problem: How to fix uneven header rows on $50 Robot?
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
I started soldering the brain for my $50 Robot today and soldered the first row of header pins for the sensors with no problem. I soldered the 2nd and 3rd row thinking there was no problem till I actually turned the board over and found that both rows were not complete flush to the board and the 3rd row was tilting away from the first two. Does anyone know what the best way to fix this is? I tried reheating each row and pressing them down and that seemed to work a little but I then started getting continuity problems. Should I just desolder the whole row and start over? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline silent069

• Helpful? 0
Re: Problem: How to fix uneven header rows on $50 Robot?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
That happened to me on my first board i soldered. I just left it. As long as all the pins are soldered firmly, you shouldnt have a problem. If you want to make it secure, get yourself an elastic band wand wrap it around the board holding it in place. Worked for me!

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
If it's the power or ground segments you can touch the iron and move it up and down the row to heat everything then staighten it up.

A good method to avoid this in the future is to use servo connectors, sensor connectors, and the like, plug them in to hold them straight when you solder. Also I found sticky tac helped to hold things against the board when soldering, cheap and effective. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:27:35 AM by galannthegreat »
Kurt

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
Headers are near impossible to adjust/remove after they are soldered in.

I find that forcefully bending the pins with pliers is good enough to get servos to fit.

(but I do something similar to galannthegreat's idea to prevent the problem)

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »
I have found that a dob of super glue between the board and the black plastic will hold them for soldering. I have found that it does not effect the function or anything and i can get a tube of super glue for about 15c so it is more economical than wasting the un even header pins.

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:06 AM »
The initial rows on the sensor side i was able to get semi straight by using a de-soldering pump and resoldering them as straight as possible. Its not perfect but it works because I was able to plug in a 3 pin housing without problems. The remaining headers I used the drop of superglue method. Worked like a charm. Thank's to all who replied. I finally have my MCU finished and now need to work on the chassis.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Get Your Ad Here

data_list