go away spammer

Author Topic: Love for Engineers  (Read 8370 times)

Offline knossosTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Love for Engineers
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
Came across this, thought it was pretty funny:

-- Edit redirected to Madsci1016's copy of the image.  Thanks for the post Madsci1016!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:27:37 AM by knossos »
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Love for Engineers
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:31:11 AM »
Hehe, I sorta picked option 3.

Arguably the hottest girl at the engineering school. When we met she was dating a guy from the circus school (my college is world renown for it's circus program. Yeah, it's sorta funny), one of the muscular guys that catches the girls on the trapeze. I didn't think I'd ever have a chance.

After a 2 years of casual friendship, it turned into really good friends, and then the rest is history.

Yeah, I know, it violates the friend zone rules. I can only explain it with the fact she's native Cuban, spent the first half of her life in Cuba. Unlike most American girls I dated, she appreciates a respectful, honest and caring man. I am a very lucky geek.

Advice for the youngsters around here. The bad boys get the girls through highschool and college. But nice guys do finish first in the long run. It's corny, but true. The girls that go for bad boys towards the end of college aren't worth your time.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
Hehe, I sorta fell into number two (ewww, j/k).  My wife is a drama geek and a gamer.  We met through a mutual friend of ours that was into the same stuff.  Our first date was a three-night cruise to the Bahamas :).
"Never regret thy fall,

— Oscar Wilde

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »
Our first date was a three-night cruise to the Bahamas :).

Dang, nice.

And a normal (there are crazy ones) drama geek is definitely a good catch. I was the drama tech geek through school, and knew a bunch of them, but never got out of the 'friend zone'.

Also, I forgot to mention this, My girl actually introduced me to SOR. She wanted to build the $50 robot, and showed me the tutorial one day. Before then, I had never heard of it.

Offline macdad-

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 5
    • LoneWolf's Circuits
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:40 AM »
Also, I forgot to mention this, My girl actually introduced me to SOR. She wanted to build the $50 robot, and showed me the tutorial one day. Before then, I had never heard of it.
Ain't that funny  8)

These tips are one for the record books  ;D
Trying to go with number 1, 2 and 3.

Hopefully no one will resort to number 4.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »

Hopefully no one will resort to number 4.

Hehe, My coworker just married a Romanian. They had to marry quickly so she could stay in the states. We tease him about it all the time. Although he is a Computer Scientist, not an engineer; they are in interesting breed.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »
Lol, that's funny you say that, a coworker at my last job married a Romanian to bring her to the states :).
"Never regret thy fall,

— Oscar Wilde

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »
I kinda believe that physics is same as engineers and maybe worse (when it comes to our uni at least)...

I really don't think, that being an engineer or what ever makes you a nice nerdy guy.... There is time for everything!
You can be good at your job, but also have some time to work out....

It's been two years and now I'm going for the third, that I'm at the physics department and I haven't been working out that much as I had in school... I lost muscle, gained some weight... But coming to think about the time I waste around... doing nothing... man, that's bad... there is time for everything really... you just need a little bit of courage and some extra time planning!!!  ;D

And I'm also thinking of getting some money... Go buy an old RWD... it won't be pretty but who cares... It will be RWD!!! You can burn some rubber with it!!!

But university really changes the life you have forward... being good at university, probably means getting a very good job... (not all the times)... But still you have time for everything...

Nice guy or bad guy... be a man that stands for his decisions, likes and character and you will get a nice girl hands down...
Being over J#rk or over nerdy is the bad thing to do.... 
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
There is time for everything!

You clearly haven't finished college...

It's been two years and now I'm going for the third, that I'm at the physics department and I haven't been working out that much as I had in school... I lost muscle, gained some weight...

Yup, I knew it, you are getting there. Last year is the worst if physics is indeed similar to engineering. Last semester was 18 hours a day in a windowless lab with only delivery for food. I'm still working it off.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
There is time for everything!

You clearly haven't finished college...

I'm at third... which is indeed the worse year (5th and 6th semester)...

It's been two years and now I'm going for the third, that I'm at the physics department and I haven't been working out that much as I had in school... I lost muscle, gained some weight...

Yup, I knew it, you are getting there. Last year is the worst if physics is indeed similar to engineering. Last semester was 18 hours a day in a windowless lab with only delivery for food. I'm still working it off.

Forth year is electronics... Analog design, microprocessors and so on.... It will be a breeze.... No question...
Compared to quantum mechanics and all that crazy hypothetical stuff...

Still I can't find myself not having time for some work out or so.... Working out is good for your mind too!!!
Instead of working 5 hours straight for example, work 2 and a half hours work out for an hour or so, have a bath and work for another 2 and a half hours.... At first, it's difficult, once you get the hand of it, you will find out that you are gaining at least an hour of work.... Try relaxing your mind is usually good... and you don't really relax it, sitting at a couch watching TV...

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
It will be a breeze.... No question...

Then it's not like engineering. Also explains why engineering degrees result in much higher paid positions out of college than physics degrees.  :P  ( I actually have degrees in both, but only a minor for physics )

I'm not joking about 18 hour days in labs. Sometimes i just slept in the engineering building, thankfully they had showers for us and i could keep some stuff in the IEEE office.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:39:59 PM by madsci1016 »

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
It will be a breeze.... No question...

Then it's not like engineering. Also explains why engineering degrees result in much higher paid positions out of college than physics degrees.  :P  ( I actually have degrees in both, but only a minor for physics )

Practically, here at Greece, with 2 extra years of certain post graduate studies we are considered engineers and have signature rights... I won't go on what each department offers but I know that the physics departments abroad are rather "intimated" compared to ours....

Even the guys at the medical department make a fun of us, on how difficult our department is....  :'(

Apart from all these, I can only imagine myself having to work 18hours a day, when I would have to work on my PhD and nothing less.... Reading all these papers is really a waste of time....

So you engineers go all pesky about being the toughest school around, and get all that mighty by the smell of signature,
but have really no idea who gives you all that tools to use.... ;D

What I get from the university campus is that you seriously have half the calculus analysis and maths we have...
Let alone the physics....

And I'm comparing stuff that do happen in my country, in my university... Really don't know what goes on with the physics guys around the world...

And let us not get this thread, to a flame thread... just remind!!!

Best Regards, Lefteris
Greece
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:17:57 PM by TrickyNekro »

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
All the physicists I know are so defense. Must be for a reason...

I'm all for not starting a flame war (apparently you are not), but this:

you seriously have half the calculus analysis and maths we have...
Let alone the physics....

Is just flat out lies. EE major have to take 3 more levels of math after calculus, giving us an automatic Minor in math and is just 2 classes away from a full blown Major degree in mathematics. Physics degree doesn't get close. And yes, we even get within 3 classes (2 if you go for the minor) of a full blown physics Major degree as well. An EE degree is 138 credit hours (usually in a 4.5 - 5 year program with full summer classes), physics is just 110 hours and a 4 year program. I graduated with a major degree in EE, and two minor degrees in math and physics. I had to take an extra class to get the physics minor, and I though quantum mechanics and relativity was easy.   

Engineers need to have a working knowledge of physics and mathematics. After all engineering is applied physics and mathematics. That's true for any country; and is why engineers get paid more. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Google it.  (Just remind!)

Ok, I'm done. You can state opinions, but money talks louder.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 07:17:18 AM »
When I went through college you had 3 chances to get a girl.
1. get a girl from you engineering class
2. start dating a nursing major because the premed where to stuck up to date engineers and nursing was the only other major that repsected the statement "We can't go out tonight I have to much homework"
3. Get really lucky in a speech or Literature class in your junior or senior year.

I couldn't figure out why my college put freshmen speech in engineers junior year on an off semester till I got there and realize that was the same time the freshmen nursing majors took the class. After that you just have to make lots of cash and impress girls with your car/house. I'm still workin on that part.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
2. start dating a nursing major because the premed where to stuck up to date engineers and nursing was the only other major that repsected the statement "We can't go out tonight I have to much homework"

Get some love for the medicine chicks too!!! Medicine school got plenty, who also are pretty good-looking and "they can't go out tonight cause of studying"...

Heheheh!!! ;-)

Hippocrates FTW!!!

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
I started thinking about statistics regarding dating when I realized that by thinking about the statistical side of dating I had in fact reduced my odds to zero.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
My love for madsci :-D

Dilbert - The Knack

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:53:35 PM by madsci1016 »

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »
As expected from a master  :D :D :D

Eh, it's all relative to you I guess.  ::)

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
Behind the bench, listening to My Sharona, trying to find to find how good as common CFL for etching, while being Friday night....

So I guess it's kinda relative to me....

But my printer is out of ink, so it kinda forces me to become normal and go out....

----> Bad printer.... Very bad...

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »

relative != relatable || relatability

I was making a physics pun about relativity.

But yes, I agree, we are all geeks in some way here, and the mimes for one can apply to all. Although there seems to be many more girls in civil and mech engineering. It's so not fair.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

relative != relatable || relatability

I was making a physics pun about relativity.

But yes, I agree, we are all geeks in some way here, and the mimes for one can apply to all. Although there seems to be many more girls in civil and mech engineering. It's so not fair.

Hahaha,

For some reasons I don't like the word geek, not... I surely don't like the word nerd...
and seriously, you don't have to be one just cause you're an engineer or something close in nature :-p

You, me or whatever other guy, are just a bunch of guys that like what we do, and we are or gonna get paid for that someday....

And that's what are other departments are for!!! I have a pal at the law school... Man, that thing is full of women!!!
Who gives a chicken about quantum mechanics, I can lose some classes and still pass the lesson!!! :-p

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
For some reasons I don't like the word geek, not... I surely don't like the word nerd...

Actually, I like the word geek, but definitely not nerd.

To me, a geek is all of us, guys who like what they do. Build cool robots, invent warp drive, etc. Geek is Chic they say.

A nerd dresses up in costumes to play D&D, gets addicted to WoW, and is very socially inept.

Just my opinion.

But some people say otherwise.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

Actually, I like the word geek, but definitely not nerd.

To me, a geek is all of us, guys who like what they do. Build cool robots, invent warp drive, etc. Geek is Chic they say.

A nerd dresses up in costumes to play D&D, gets addicted to WoW, and is very socially inept.

Just my opinion.

But some people say otherwise.

hmm... if that is what Geek means I'm totally for it!!!

I have never ever regretted a minute, on studying and doing my hobbies....

Let's go for it then!!! ;-)

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
I don't like geek because people associate it with the geek characters they see on tv which is an insult to me. Think I'm overreacting? Watch any given episode of CSI.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
I don't like the word geek either...
Around here, a geek is a wannabe nerd: a geek will think they are smart and they act as though they were smart, but usually have no idea what their talking about.  On the other hand, a nerd is less boastful about their intelligence, but has a deeper understanding of things.

It really depends on how you personally define the two words though, or how each word is characterized in your social surrounding (i.e. friends, teachers etc.).

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
For what it's worth, definitions from Merriam Webster:

Definition of GEEK
: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>

Definition of NERD
: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

So really are all robot geeks, and hopefully none are nerds.

Although the other definitions of geek are disturbing.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 03:13:52 AM »
Robot Geek: A robotic carnival performer often billed as a wild robot whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake.  :o
"Never regret thy fall,

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Xyver

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 03:37:14 AM »
This sounds all really funny.... but i cant see the picture.... :( Link is broken?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list