Author Topic: Freescale microcontroller  (Read 2851 times)

Offline TsukubadaiseiTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Freescale microcontroller
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »
Hi, I would like to know if someone had ever used anything from Freescale. I am getting, for free, a Freescale microcontroller(DEMO9S08QG8E) and it is the first time I am going to use it. I know nothing about this controller and I passing my eyes over a few sites I've got a bad feeling about it.

The problem is that I am used to program for Hitachi's H8 microcontroller, that is the best I have seen so far, cost much less then ARM and has free C compiler. Just by looking at the description this Freescale microcontroller looks quite limited when compared to ARM or H8 microcontrollers. However, I am getting it for free because they, together with Oriental Motors, are supporting my team for a contest at my University, and it is a famous contest here in Japan. I am getting the stepper motors from Oriental Motors because they are really good and expensive, but I really don't know what I should do about that microcontroller.

So if have ever touched in that microcontroller let me know and tell me anything you felt or know. I appreciate any kind of comment or advise. If you are interested in this microcontroller here is the English page:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=DEMO9S08QG8#
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Freescale microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
I havent used it before, but looking at the list of features it seems decently good and easy to use to me . . .

Offline TsukubadaiseiTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Freescale microcontroller
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
I appreciate the interest, and yeah, I did some research and found that it is relatively easy because it is already ready for use and include codewarrior(development environment for C) in the package. It is better then PIC16 and some PIC18 kits but still it is less powerfull and customizable then ARM and H8(that is because I like building my own motherboards rather then buying). I am still discussing with my team about it, after all, it is for free...

A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Get Your Ad Here