Author Topic: arduino board help plz  (Read 75932 times)

Offline robonoobTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: arduino board help plz
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2007, 03:12:31 AM »
The $50 Robot (with ATmega168 upgrade) uses the same microcontroller as the Arduino. Code is the same.

Nope, it actually isn't. The Arduino uses an own language, based on wiring. It's a whole different environment. Many things are predefined and made very easy. However, you could program it in the ordinary language.
u mean i could make all these files into one file that arduino programme understands?
How?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
Nope, it actually isn't. The Arduino uses an own language, based on wiring. It's a whole different environment. Many things are predefined and made very easy. However, you could program it in the ordinary language.
You don't need to use that environment. AVR Studio will work, too.

Offline Steel_monkey

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
All this looks a little funny- someone is going to code his own bot and asking, what is MCU. The best idea (if you want to creat something, not just copy) is to start from some basics: blinking LED, button control, PWM control, H-bridge control and others. Start writing little programs on assembler, designe your own development board (this Arduino is overpriced by comparison with DIY. At least You will understand function of all components). But the first is tech materials: look for books (if You want to know authors PM me) and datasheets: http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/T/M/E/ATMEGA168.shtml. I believe this will help.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2007, 02:59:09 PM »
All this looks a little funny- someone is going to code his own bot and asking, what is MCU. The best idea (if you want to creat something, not just copy) is to start from some basics: blinking LED, button control, PWM control, H-bridge control and others. Start writing little programs on assembler, designe your own development board (this Arduino is overpriced by comparison with DIY. At least You will understand function of all components). But the first is tech materials: look for books (if You want to know authors PM me) and datasheets: http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/T/M/E/ATMEGA168.shtml. I believe this will help.
thanks :) but I've allready made a decision and I'm going to buy the arduino board and I'm going to make the robot i described before in this topic :) i got a code from a friend of mine (who i met in this wonderfull forum)
he has done quite the same robot that I'm going to do and so I'm hoping that i could use this code for my robot too :) of course if there are any modifycations needed then I'll try to make them but i hope not :)
PS: I've been reading this http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson5.html  GREAT page about arduino that does teach the basics of the  development board and gives examples about the simplest codes etc.
although i don't have my arduino board yet I've read this page and I'm on the 5. lesson ATM :) I've been trying to understand all this and I've done all the exercises that are written there :) so yea i think i will be able to make my robot when i get my arduino now :) and it all thanks to this The-Best-Robot-Forum-Ever :)
anyway if i run into problems i will ask you people :) or if i don't understand something :D cuz as I've said before and as my name says: I'm quite a Noob in electronics :P

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
hi again :) i have been looking for the things to buy... and because this will be my first robot then i have to  strt buying stuff from the beginning meaning that i eaven have to buy the multimeter and stuff...
please give this thing a look: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=68 this is a arduino starting pack... do u think this is worth the price?... i personaly think it is... :) but what do u think?

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
looks pretty good, i would buy it

the price is  more than if you were to buy everything separate, but then again shipping is combined for all the stuff.

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
looks pretty good, i would buy it

the price is  more than if you were to buy everything separate, but then again shipping is combined for all the stuff.

yea thats what i was thinking :) so...i'll buy this complect and then 3 servos a IR range finder , a multimeter, 7.2V battery... and a charger for it :) i think that would be everything i need :P

Offline Mega

• Helpful? 0
    • MegaBot Blog
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
yea thats what i was thinking Smiley so...i'll buy this complect and then 3 servos a IR range finder , a multimeter, 7.2V battery... and a charger for it Smiley i think that would be everything i need Tongue
Sounds like a nice set of Christmas presents  ;)
After a while you probably need some more wires, LEDs, resistors, capacitators etc. but this looks like a good set to start with!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:17:18 PM by Mega »
Visit my robotics blog at http://megabotblog.blogspot.com/

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
yea thats what i was thinking Smiley so...i'll buy this complect and then 3 servos a IR range finder , a multimeter, 7.2V battery... and a charger for it Smiley i think that would be everything i need Tongue
Sounds like a nice set of Christmas presents  ;)
After a while you probably need some more wires, LEDs, resistors, capacitators etc. but this looks like a good set to start with!
exactly my idea :P i wish somebody would give this as a present for me for christmas :D(but nobody isn-t going to unfortunately :D)

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2008, 03:31:02 PM »
did the hummbot start out life as a tamiya Humvee kit???

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
did the hummbot start out life as a tamiya Humvee kit???
well I'm sorry but if I'm not wrong now then Mega was the one with the Humbot project :)
 BTW I'm going to get money for my arduino robot next week(finally :D:D) so I'm going to buy the parts and i can start with my robot :P
I'm waiting for this sooo much :D
i will try to take some photos with my mobile phone but i don't think they will be good... cuz it's quite crappy camera...and i don't have a better one...
anyway i will take these pictures then and upload them here so u could go with me with my first robot :P

PS: please anybody who has done or is doing any robots with arduino please post pictures or videos here for me...just to isnpire me :D and i hope many other people too...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:22:57 PM by robonoob »

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
Once you get your servos and sensors wired can you please post a picture of that? ( I'm thinking of using the Arduino also)
Robots are awesome!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
Once you get your servos and sensors wired can you please post a picture of that? ( I'm thinking of using the Arduino also)
yea i will make the picture...but with my mobile phohe camera cuz i dont have a real digital camera and i dont think the graphiks will be good...
but you could take a look at the schematics somewhere above if u want :D

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »
umm everybody... i was going over the whole post again and started thinking that why do i need to connect a non-digital servo like this: http://www.servocity.com/~servo/html/hs-311_standard.html to a digital pin of the arduino?? or do all the servos and motors go to digital pins?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »
yea well what i understand from there is that analog servos should have to be connected to analog pins and digital servos to digital pins... so my schematics is still wrong... i will buy this servo : http://www.servocity.com/~servo/html/hs-311_standard.html this is a analog servo so i will need to connect it to analog pin...
okei sorry i think it was my mistake not informationing you what servo i will be using :)

PS: no wait... if i connect the analog servo to analog pin then i wont be able to send PWM or would i?
omg I'm so confused :D

Offline visualPerception

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
Sorry i just have to say, I think you mean informing.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2008, 08:29:27 AM »
robonoob, very second sentence:
Digital servos, at the user end, are controlled no differently than analog servos.

Use a digital port. ;)

(rereading what I wrote, I think that tutorial needs a rewrite . . .)

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »
is it possible to use a 6 volt battery to power the Arduino?
Robots are awesome!

Offline Fredrik Andersson

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
is it possible to use a 6 volt battery to power the Arduino?

Yes, but make sure it is charged enough. If it's too uncharged, the output voltage from the regulator will be lower than 5 volt.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:35:25 AM by Fredrik Andersson »
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
robonoob, very second sentence:
Digital servos, at the user end, are controlled no differently than analog servos.

Use a digital port. ;)

(rereading what I wrote, I think that tutorial needs a rewrite . . .)
oh sorry :D i missunderstood the sentence :) thanks :P
and yea my English isn't perfect LOL :D(not even close to it :D)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
yea...still wating my mom to get herself a creditcard :D but in meantime i've been doing some work on my CAD file :) check this out(this isnt finished obviously, only added servos, wheels, and a ball caster) :

anyway tell me what u think :) and plz tell me if the caster has to be on front or on the back? yea pulling is better than pushing and stuff so i think i will leave it back :) but if u have an argument why i should put it on front then let me know :)

Edit: OMG sorry for the double post :S
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:39:17 PM by robonoob »

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2008, 07:08:01 AM »
where did u CAD it in?

Google Sketchup??

www.Narobo.com

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm going to use the same ball caster for my robot. looks good robonoob and it's fine having the caster in back . 
Robots are awesome!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »
Yes it's google sketchup... :)
here take a look at my new pictures...i think its done but I'm not sure though so if u see a missing part then tell me :D

edit: i tried to put the mass as front as i could cuz i believe this would increase efficiency cuz the servos don't have so much to pull then :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:21:59 PM by robonoob »

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
Can you please upload your CAD to the Google Warehouse library and in one of the tags do societyofrobots .    I want that CAD of those casters!

Thanks

www.Narobo.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »
Can you please upload your CAD to the Google Warehouse library and in one of the tags do societyofrobots .    I want that CAD of those casters!

Thanks
well i dont know if thats what u wanted but : http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=25480e0fe0d974fa705310bd14c7d998

edit: i was wandering here and came to this with my thoughts: i will be using 6 AA rechargeable batteries(1.2V each) thats 7.2V i have planed that his will be enough to power my arduino and 3 servos and an IR and now i suddenly realized that this cant be... its to few volts. am i right?
anyway i thought that i will buy a 9V battery to power the arduino and connect 6V directly to servos  and the IR could get power from the arduino 5V power pin. so the schematics would something like this:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:27:35 PM by robonoob »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »
Two thoughts on your CAD design.

First, your robot 'butt' is too big. When your robot turns, it's butt will run into stuff . . .

So that brings me to my second point on how to save more space . . . put your batteries under the robot using velcro. Also consider making a second level using spacers.

Otherwise, looks good.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »

Thanks
well i dont know if thats what u wanted but : http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=25480e0fe0d974fa705310bd14c7d998

edit: i was wandering here and came to this with my thoughts: i will be using 6 AA rechargeable batteries(1.2V each) thats 7.2V i have planed that his will be enough to power my arduino and 3 servos and an IR and now i suddenly realized that this cant be... its to few volts. am i right?
anyway i thought that i will buy a 9V battery to power the arduino and connect 6V directly to servos  and the IR could get power from the arduino 5V power pin. so the schematics would something like this:

Thanks for the CAD and I love how your schematic looks!   ;D

www.Narobo.com

paulstreats

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »
edit: i tried to put the mass as front as i could cuz i believe this would increase efficiency cuz the servos don't have so much to pull then

Your servo's will have to pull the weight regardless of where where they are. In fact you would probably be better off placing heavier components as near to the servo's as possible to increase the static grip of the wheels.

I like the look of the cad, it must have taken a while :)

Get Your Ad Here