Author Topic: Do you think this is a good idea? ~Chassis related question  (Read 2863 times)

Offline MaltiKTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Do you think this is a good idea? ~Chassis related question
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »
I made the main chassis partly.
I have not drilled on the caster wheel, because I think I might upgrade after realizing all of the bot's weight will be on the caster.

Anywho, this is the chassis so far:

" border="0

" border="0

" border="0

" border="0

Do you think this will support ~ 150lbs? Any suggestions?

A way to lock the rods, instead of tape would be great. I do not have access to many tools, so it will be limited.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:20:45 PM by MaltiK »
Warranty

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: Do you think this is a good idea? ~Chassis related question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
I'm not sure how useful that chassis will be.  How about this idea...

Keep your rods between the motors as they are.  Now lay a board flat on top of the rods.  Secure the rods to the board using U-bolts.  Mount your caster to the other end of the board.  This will give you a flat surface to work with - to carry stuff, mount batteries and controllers, etc.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhhhh U bolts!!! +1 for you!!

but the problem is there are not spaced evenly with the horizon, the mounting holes are not level on the motors :/
Warranty

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
Use an open mind and im sure youll figure something out :) Ill help along: You want a level plane between 2 points but said 2 points are not parallel to each other on the correct plane. So youll have to extend one point upward right? Hmm, do we know of any 3 sided shapes that can help with that? :)
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
Use an open mind and im sure youll figure something out :) Ill help along: You want a level plane between 2 points but said 2 points are not parallel to each other on the correct plane. So youll have to extend one point upward right? Hmm, do we know of any 3 sided shapes that can help with that? :)

Tthe suggestion you made, I presume a triangle with a notch for the rods is impossible for me because as I stated, I have no tools available. So I would prefer to keep it to as little custom-ness as possible?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:52:43 PM by MaltiK »
Warranty

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
So I would prefer to keep it to as little custom-ness as possible?

You are designing and building your own bot, custom comes with the territory. That being said take a stroll though the hardware section of a home improvement store, I'm sure you can find some brackets or something that can be made to work with very little if any modifications. Just don't limit yourself to the true purpose of things you can always find new creative ways to use things.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhhhh U bolts!!! +1 for you!!

but the problem is there are not spaced evenly with the horizon, the mounting holes are not level on the motors :/

That's OK.  Make your chassis board level with the ground, and angle your motors upwards.  The motors don't need to be mounted horizontally.

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:51:06 AM »

He means use shims to adjust the level difference and use U-bolts to secure everything in place.

But having the rods in the same plane and the motors slanted a bit is a better idea. Now you decide how ever is easier for you.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Get Your Ad Here