go away spammer

Author Topic: ROPE CLIMBING ROBOT  (Read 6629 times)

Offline masaoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
ROPE CLIMBING ROBOT
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:29 AM »
HOW TO BUILD A SIMPLE ROPE CLIMBING ROBOT WHICH IS PURELY MECHANICAL WHICH WILL BE TRIGERRED BY A LOAD? AND THE ROBOT WILL STAY AT ONE POINT OF THE ROPE. PLEASE HELP ME

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
Re: ROPE CLIMBING ROBOT
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
Climb how? Using arms grasping and releasing the rope? Running the rope between some wheels that pinch it and allow it to climb? Winding the rope around a drum?
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
the rope will be fixed but the robot must climb the rope no matter how. batteries are not allowed to make the robot climbing as it should be purely mechanical

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:33:29 AM »
Use two rollers (pulleys) spun by wind up mechanism.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

how to  make sure that the robot will move when a load is place on the robot by wind up mechanism? the load is a tennis ball.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
how to  make sure that the robot will move when a load is place on the robot by wind up mechanism? the load is a tennis ball.
Just pick wind up mechanism that is strong enough. If You have torque meter - You can measure how much torque wind up spring can output and compare it against torque required to lift assembly up the rope. If You don't have access to torque meter, than trial and error is the way to go.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

How is the load put in place? Can it be set on a lever (platform) that will unlock the windup mechanism?

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
Hi,

Make a lever that latches to the rope (blocking any climbing motion) until the ball is put on it - that way it will stay in place by the wind-up pushing upward against the latch.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »

How is the load put in place? Can it be set on a lever (platform) that will unlock the windup mechanism?

How to unlock the wind up mechanism?

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »
You have some kind of wind up clockwork, right?

It is going to have some kind of gears or wheels - you can put a notch in one of these, and make a lever that fits into the notch and stops rotation. On the other end of the lever is a place to put your load. The load will "tip" the lever a little and pop it out of the notch.

Eh?

Get Your Ad Here