Electronics > Electronics

Building a set of walking legs, never made a robot before, what should I know?

(1/9) > >>

S. Karim:
I'm building a set of walking legs, before I build the upper body. This is what I think I need:

a) 8 servos. (waist, thigh, knee, ankle / per leg). dont know which ones are good though, there are hundreds of hitec / futaba servos on websites but i dont know what torque i need (since i have no concept of torque, i do know what it is though). the calculator on this website wont help, cause ive never purchased motors before and i dont know what power i require.

b) something to control these servos...will this work:

http://www.robotstore.com/store/product.asp?pid=676&catid=1563

or do i need something else with it? seems like it's a plug and code microcontroller, can anyone verify? i do know how to code in C/C++.

c) battery pack, dont know what voltage though, anyone can help?

d) balsa wood or something stronger, cutting tools, glueing tools.

Okay, I need your help, do I have the right ideas for equipment? I will document everything to show you guys how a beginner does this if you help me. I have a budget of $200-250 and I need links to reliable vendors I can purchase powerful/small servos for around 10 bucks a piece.

Oh and do I have my microcontroller concept right? All I need is that servo controller and I'll be able to make my robot walk right?

Thanks guy!

S. Karim:
bump!

dont wanna read first post?

simplified version: what do i need and what do i need to know to make a set of walking legs, that will support a future upper body?

thanks!

S. Karim:
Comon guys, any help?

I want to make walking biped legs, what do I need?

Ro-Bot-X:
Get the Bioloid kit. There you have all that you need.

There is no cheap way to build a walker. Good servos cost big bucks. Take a look at www.lynxmotion.com and see what servos they are using for their Bratz kits. And there you will find servo controllers and batteries also. It you buy a kit, they will give you the Servo Sequencer software to make the robot move.

I don't have any of the parts required so I can't help you more. But a walker is not an easy project for a beginner, since it involves good mechanical, electronics and programming skills to make it work.

S. Karim:
Im looking to build this from scratch. I'm not a complete newbie, I lied in the post so you guys could give me directions as if I were a 5 year old.

I already have the ROBONOVA1 kit, so I know what's required already.

But I need help from you guys to see what I need from scratch. What recommendations can you offer me that are cheap but durable? There has to be a place I can get 10 servos for bulk for a reduced price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version