go away spammer

Author Topic: AVRISP mkii target power error  (Read 10664 times)

Offline d13Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
AVRISP mkii target power error
« on: June 30, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm having a problem using my AVRISP mkii.  I'm very new to this so please pardon any obvious problems that I may be overlooking.

Here's the setup:
AVRISP mkii
atmega8
AVR Studio 4 (build 528)
WinAVR

The problem is that whenever I try to do anything with the atmega8 through the isp I get a "No target was detected.  Ensure that the target has power".  The status light is initially off and stays solid red when I try to communicate.  I did the initial firmware update when prompted by AVR Studio when I first tried to connect to the ISP.  I also did a manual firmware update, but I still have the same problem.  I have a 4.7kOhm resister from RESET to Vcc.  I tried both a 1kOhm and a about 260ohm as well.  I am able to change the ISP Frequency and it is currently set to 125 kHz.

I have put up a few images of the circuit and a few AVR Studio screen shots.

http://corruptionexperiment.com/misc/mkii_error/index.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:56:18 PM by d13 »

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
Re: AVRISP mkii target power error
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 12:24:14 AM »
Your ISP wiring seems to be correct.
Using your voltmeter, verify the voltage to the VCC pin it should be equal to your supply voltage (+5V in this case).

Nice work on the photos!
Good luck.
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline d13Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
Your ISP wiring seems to be correct.
Using your voltmeter, verify the voltage to the VCC pin it should be equal to your supply voltage (+5V in this case).

The voltage to VCC for both the atmega8 and the isp are +5v.  Also, just for kicks, I checked the ribbon cable and there doesn't seem to be any breaks in the cable.

Nice work on the photos!

Thanks!

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:02:22 AM »
I have a 4.7kOhm resister from RESET to Vcc.  I tried both a 1kOhm and a about 260ohm as well.
Try to use a larger resistor. The data sheet specifies 20K - 100K as the value of the RESET pull-up resistor.

Verify your wiring again. In the third photo on your site, the value of VTarget should never be ZERO if you've wired it correctly.
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

Offline d13Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »
Try to use a larger resistor. The data sheet specifies 20K - 100K as the value of the RESET pull-up resistor.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried about a 87K, but it didn't seem to help.  The help file says that the LED would normally blink orange for a "Reversed target cable connection, or not correct pull-up on the reset line."

Verify your wiring again. In the third photo on your site, the value of VTarget should never be ZERO if you've wired it correctly.

I rechecked the wiring again, but I didn't find any problems.

Should the VTarget on the Board tab of the Connect dialog always read the voltage on the isp's pin 2 (VCC). (assuming GND is connected too.) For example, if pin 2 has +5v then VTarget should read 5v?  I'm trying to rule out a defective ISP.  I'm sure that pin 2 is +5v and the ribbon cable is good.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried about a 87K, but it didn't seem to help.  The help file says that the LED would normally blink orange for a "Reversed target cable connection, or not correct pull-up on the reset line."
Yep that's correct. I actually have a setup which uses only a 22K resistor.

Should the VTarget on the Board tab of the Connect dialog always read the voltage on the isp's pin 2 (VCC). (assuming GND is connected too.) For example, if pin 2 has +5v then VTarget should read 5v?  I'm trying to rule out a defective ISP.  I'm sure that pin 2 is +5v and the ribbon cable is good.
Yep.

I really can't find anything wrong with your wiring. Maybe it's a bad ISP, but that's going to be a BIG MAYBE since it should've been captured by Atmel QA.

Offline d13Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »
Well, it turns out that I had the pins reversed on the connector.  For example, pins 1 & 2 were backwards, 3 & 4, 5 & 6.  The diagram that is in the help file is meant to be viewed as if you are looking down through the connector, but not as an overlay from the bottom.  :P

I was a little unsure about which resistor to use, but you helped me fix that before it even became a problem.

I really appreciate your help.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list