Author Topic: I need a simple "smart motor" system: steady speed, no positioning  (Read 4394 times)

Offline gellfexTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi folks,

I do theater effects and animatronic puppets, I've got a job that needs a motor and controller system for a wing flap. robotpower.com seems to have some possibilities, but a bit of overkill. Much googling hasn't gotten me what I need, so I thought I'd ask here.

All I want to end up with is a motor of 10A stall with an encoder (or an encoder on the mech), a pot to set the speed, and an on/off switch. But I want the motor to maintain it's speed despite variations in the load as the thing flaps. I think I'm going to use a worm gear from the motor to the geartrain, further isolating the motor from mechanical feedback.

Any product suggestions? Thanks.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: I need a simple "smart motor" system: steady speed, no positioning
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
Check out the Pololu SMC04.  It has integrated closed loop PID control of the motor, which is required for motor speed control under a varying load.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks ArcMan! I knew someone here would come through. That's just what I needed, doing a Simple H & DALF from robotpower added was $230 more, and more bulk and complication.

Now I just need to find a the right size motor that will accept an encoder....

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »
Have you considered a 4-bar linkage for creating a flapping pattern?

An example:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_jesus_lizard.shtml

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »
Have you considered a 4-bar linkage for creating a flapping pattern?

An example:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_jesus_lizard.shtml

Sadly, this job is pathetically simple, more on the lines a of a window display really. I just needed a motor that wouldn't vary due to battery voltage or other variables. I actually decided not to use the Pololu unit after I learned they have no programming interface, and that I would have to learn programming again 25 years after a 1 semester course in Fortran. It's something worthwhile to do, but I simply don't have the time for it now. For $200 more I'm considering buying a BE15A8 from ADVANCED Motion Controls, which is more of a plug and play unit. The real sticker shock came from Micro-Mo, $600 for a motor and encoder, no gearhead.  I may start searching the surplus again, and just buy 4 of whatever I decide on to have maintainance units in stock.

data_list