go away spammer

Author Topic: Pololu AVR programmer setup  (Read 2673 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Pololu AVR programmer setup
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
Hello all,
I just got my Pololu AVR programmer http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1300.  I've downloaded the drivers from Pololu and the programmer appears in device manager so everthing is Ok here.  Now in AVR studio; my program compiles and everything good.  Then i hookup the programmer to the Axon II (see pic, i think this is correct), turn on the Axon (right?).  Then i click the "con" button and it pulls up the "select AVR Programmer"  I have "AVRISP" as the platform and port set to "Auto".  When i click connect my computer thinks for a while then says "connect failed".  

Any ideas?

set uphttp://www.pololu.com/docs/0J36/3.b

also, i've viewed madsci1016 video where he uses the same programmer Axon 2, Webbotlib and Project Designer Tutorial  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:18:15 PM by BANE »

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: Pololu AVR programmer setup
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
The Pololu AVR Programmer is an AVRISPv2 (note the v2), I believe - that may be your problem.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
The Pololu AVR Programmer is an AVRISPv2 (note the v2), I believe - that may be your problem.
thanks for the response.  i just tried "AVRISP mkII" as listed in AVRstudio i believe, unfortunately, i get the same error.

Here is a screen print if it helps

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
Yay!  I figured it out. :)  Just for the record, it turns out that AVR Studio has issues recognizing COM ports that are high than 10.  Under device manager the two com ports where auto assigned to 9 and 10.  So i reassigned port 10 to a free one which happened to be port 2 and it works.  Also, the "auto" port detection doesnt work, i had t manually set it to port 9.

cheers

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:25:05 AM »
I have had to re assign my com port of my programmer a few times, although when reading your post i didn't think of it  :-[

The auto selection feature will only work if the computer has assigned the programmers com port between 1 and 9. if it is any higher it wont work. but this is no good when you have had the trouble you have had.

good to hear you found the solution!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
The auto selection feature will only work if the computer has assigned the programmers com port between 1 and 9. if it is any higher it wont work. but this is no good when you have had the trouble you have had.
thats exactly what i was thinking being that the two ports are actually 2 and 9, both within 1-9 but still it wont recognize it.  I'm going to try something else though when i get a chance.  I think  i reassign port 2 with port 9 and port 9 with port 8.  Maybe if they are ordered directly after each other it will work. :P

edit: yes i tested it out and auto now works
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:44:42 PM by BANE »

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
The important thing is that you can connect your programmer.

i also have a problem every now and again with the auto select function, but that seems rare for me. and i still have the ability to connect manually.

Get Your Ad Here