go away spammer

Author Topic: Are kits a good way for a beginner to start?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline robot123Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Are kits a good way for a beginner to start?
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
Hi,

I am new on the Society of Robot Forums.  I have very little experience building robots, I have only put together a couple of easy kits that haven't worked :(  I would like to start over with something really simple.  Would a kit, such as the "Wall Hugging Mouse" from Tamiya, be a good place to start out?  It is apparently of one the more simple kits out there.

Thanks,

Offline beachboy612

• Helpful? 0
Re: Are kits a good way for a beginner to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
I havent done any kits, but I would say the $50 robot would be great to do.  I did it as my first project and learned a lot, although it ended up costing a little less than 150 because the tutorial assumes you have many of the items.  plus, the shippng charges accumulate.

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
I wouldn't recommend the wall hugging mouse.  Very little to learn with a kit like that.  What to recommend can very a lot depending on your background and resources available to you.  Tell us a little about your background and what kind of robot you are thinking about building and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.  The $50 robot is an excellent starting point but IMO if you have no electronics experience at all, some basic electronics projects would serve you better as a  starting point.  If you have little or no experience programming, I would recommend learning C/C++ and that can be done without any $$ invested by downloading a free compiler and doing some online tutorials.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Many kits are simply 'snap this part into that hole and put this screw here". Not much to learn.

If you really have no electronic experience then I suggest some simple 'electronic learning' kits.
SparkFun has a few that are intended for the beginner in electronics. They have data sheet and manuals on line so look them over to see if its just build it or learn something.
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/157

Herbie is a nice beginner's robot kit. The instructions are very good for a first time electronic builder. After this the $50 robot should be doable.
Their other kits can be fun and some can actually be handy.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
Also, it would be useful for us to know what the kits you had trouble with were. (in addition to letting us know what your existing skills are)
I

Get Your Ad Here

data_list