Author Topic: newbie need help please  (Read 2421 times)

Offline ROVERTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
newbie need help please
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
Hello to everyone,

Hope you guys doing alright. id like to present to you guys my first project a rover thats controlled by arduino and a joystick, I just dont know how to start so please help me out,

This is my hummer remote truck that id like to hook up with arduino and be controlled by a usb joystick

and a picture of the board of the hummer

What I have..

2 Arduino uno
2 xbee module
2 xbee shield
breadboard
wire connectors
resistors
led
soldering iron

and a will power!

Hoping the masters here could point me in the right direction, I just need that first step so please help me make it happen thank you

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: newbie need help please
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Hi,

What I have..

2 Arduino uno
2 xbee module
2 xbee shield
breadboard
wire connectors
resistors
led
soldering iron

and a will power!

Hoping the masters here could point me in the right direction, I just need that first step so please help me make it happen thank you
And your question is?

Perhaps that (single?) will power may persuade you to spend a few hours with Google?

Other than that, your first (or next) step should probably be to sit down with pen and paper, kicking ideas around. When that leads you to specific questions, ask them, but don't expect others to know what you want - we're "only" engineers and have no paranormal powers worth mentioning (it just looks that way :P)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:04:20 AM »
Hope you guys doing alright. id like to present to you guys my first project a rover thats controlled by arduino and a joystick, I just dont know how to start so please help me out,

This is my hummer remote truck that id like to hook up with arduino and be controlled by a usb joystick
As far as I understand, You want joystick to be plugged to computer and from there, according to joystick's position, some signals to be sent via WiFi to Your Arduino driven rover.

If that's the case, you will need some (Windows, Mac, Linux, or whatever You have) programming skills, as well as programming skills aimed at microcontroller - Arduino in this instance. For OS part programming You have to understand how WiFi network works and how to take advantage of it programmatically. For microcontroller part programming You can search for Arduino WiFi tutorials, as well as for some PWM, DAC or Serial Communication tutorials (depending on motor driver You choose to go with).

Hardware part, more or less, can be plug-n-play (that is if You are willing to buy ready made motor driver, something like Sabertooth). This way, all You need to do is desolder motors' and battery's wires from current circuit and plug them to off-the-shelf motor driver and Arduino (Don't forget to check if voltages and current draw are compatible between all parts!!!). However, if You want to keep project price low, DIY is, most of the time, good way to go. Now, You can either build Your own motor driver (aka H-Bridge) from transistors or MOSFETs, or You can buy H-Bridge IC, such as L298.

Good luck with Your project :)

[...] and a will power! [...]
[...] (single?) [...]
[...] Or, in other words, don't taunt him for his English, his typos or grammar, he may be an ace at his mother tounge and several other (how are you doing in foreign languages btw?) :)
;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:07:42 AM by newInRobotics »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline ROVERTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
As far as I understand, You want joystick to be plugged to computer and from there, according to joystick's position, some signals to be sent via WiFi to Your Arduino driven rover.

If that's the case, you will need some (Windows, Mac, Linux, or whatever You have) programming skills, as well as programming skills aimed at microcontroller - Arduino in this instance. For OS part programming You have to understand how WiFi network works and how to take advantage of it programmatically. For microcontroller part programming You can search for Arduino WiFi tutorials, as well as for some PWM, DAC or Serial Communication tutorials (depending on motor driver You choose to go with).

Hardware part, more or less, can be plug-n-play (that is if You are willing to buy ready made motor driver, something like Sabertooth). This way, all You need to do is desolder motors' and battery's wires from current circuit and plug them to off-the-shelf motor driver and Arduino (Don't forget to check if voltages and current draw are compatible between all parts!!!). However, if You want to keep project price low, DIY is, most of the time, good way to go. Now, You can either build Your own motor driver (aka H-Bridge) from transistors or MOSFETs, or You can buy H-Bridge IC, such as L298.

Good luck with Your project :)

Thank you NEWINROBOTICS, I am currently trying to build my own H bridge, as I thought I could use the existing board of my remote  hummer,  and also searching about programming about joystick so they can be use as an input to my arduino and to control the forward and reverse and turning of my hummer, 

Is it alright if I send you PM's if I have questions?

Thanks again

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Is it alright if I send you PM's if I have questions?
Much better to post Your questions in public forum as others with same problems can get an answer as well.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
Hi NiR,

[...] Or, in other words, don't taunt him for his English, his typos or grammar, he may be an ace at his mother tounge and several other (how are you doing in foreign languages btw?) :)
;)
You compare a single humorous observation with the post of yours where I responded with the above?
I think you should reread that post in full and rethink it :) IIRC you were a bit hard on that poster - don't mix up taunting and light hearted humour ;).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list