go away spammer

Author Topic: Did I fry this board?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline GosuSheepTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Did I fry this board?
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
Greetings,

I purchased the following New Bright RC Car (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000II6VGG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00). Hacking the board on the car itself was way too complicated for me. I just tried to solder wires to the leads coming from the microcontroller, and the leads were too small to make a solid connection. After a few hours of trying that, I decided to try to hack the remote control.

I broke it open, attached a 6V (4 1.5V battery encasing) to the terminals (strangely denote with "+" and "-" instead of "vcc" and "gnd"), and...... nothing. The control itself usually operates on 3V (2 1.5V batteries), so i imagine the voltage was potentially too much. I saw no smoke, but I *might* have smelled some fry. I had been trying to solder for hours so I can't say for a fact.

Now, the multi-meter reads the terminal as around .3V. The problem is, I don't know if it read that earlier and I just don't know how this board works. I'd think the terminal itself would also be around 3V when batteries connected.

I'm not very knowledgeable of electronics. What do you think? Did I burn the wiring out?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Did I fry this board?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
Hi,

Feeding 6V to a 3V circuit, yes, you most likely fried something.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list