Author Topic: Computer systems mimicking biological cognition?  (Read 4583 times)

Offline mergatroidalTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Computer systems mimicking biological cognition?
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
You bet. Keep following the links, find my Treatise, and after reading it I know you guys will see what I do.

The book Dear Mergatroid will go public the end of this year.

I definitely want to advertise at societyofrobots.com in the future ...    :)

Offline SixRingz

• Helpful? 0
  • Bit's and pc's = Robot.
    • ManMachineSystem
Re: Computer systems mimicking biological cognition?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »
Well I don't really know what to say... I tried to read like a page or so but I don't really understand what this is all about. Like the name though, Mergatroid. For a NES fan like me that's like a combination between Metal Gear and Metroid.  ;D
Grounding things properly means burying them in the backyard...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »

Uhm ...? SixRingz, the camouflage seems to be working; this is good. Preemie no good.

What is happening .... is so cool!   ;)

Offline Fredrik Andersson

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:12:23 AM »
Why is this so very similar to this topic? http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3919.0
Not in the concept, but the way it's presented.

This just feels so typical, a concept that's presented in a way that is intended to revolutionize the world by simply telling about the concept, sounding all mystical and poetical. I often think about things like this, but i wouldn't talk very much about it before it take an action towards it myself. And i don't count talking and writing about it in as an action because there are already so many high up in the sky concepts so it just drowns in that pool.

Anyway, I read one page from the website and still don't know what it really is about. There's just a lot of promising poetical texts. I want to know what the Mergatroid is. I couldn't find a clear answer to that. And what does "biological cognition" means?

I don't want to demotivate you to do this. I love when people believe in a better way to live, a better kind of society and a better kind of future. It's just that this seems so vague and unclear. You should focus on explaining things a little more clearly so that people directly can get a good grip on what it is about, instead of making it sound so very poetic and revolutionizing.

Wish you all the best on your work,
Fredrik Andersson
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
Anyway, I read one page from the website and still don't know what it really is about.

Ok, attention span: one page. Good, and sort of expected. sysop's post and link has many examples of what not to do to grab the public's attention. Tips and tricks, I learn fast ...

Fredrik Andersson, click the word Mergatroid at the end of the page. Still more camouflage, ... and my Treatise on the Nature of Life is the key to "computer cognition," ... and still more camouflage. The treatise should be read and will be best understood in context with where I have placed it inside the Dear Mergatroid manuscript, and soon to be book.

Westerners read my web pages, and sysops, and others of similar style and content, and the mind becomes, for lack of a better word, numb. But I imagine a really smart Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology student reading this post of mine. Five years from today it is this student who, because of what he or she read over the internet one day, writes the paper of Paper, submits it to Nature magazine, and it is he or she who is honored with the Nobel Prize. Every Western student in college today has been trumped, and of course humiliated. Westerners really, ... they think they're just, oh! so! smart ...!  ;D

Why all the "camouflage" then? Because preemie no good. The crowd at Society of Robots gets to peek though. What I discovered is for the best and the brightest of this crowd to ponder upon. Also, I'll be on a low budget to promote the book later ..., and I'm checking, rather I'm scoping out the playing fields now.

8)

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 06:52:08 AM »
Oi! L Ron Hubard called and said it was a good idea....  :P

So you are an author? Or a Philosopher? Not that I mind either, I probably read to many books in my spare time instead of working on my robots. But you are going to have to ground your ideas in hard science and do some research if you want to see them flourish. Don't count on any one else doing if for you.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

... I probably read too many books in my spare time instead of working on my robots.

Hmm? The blueprints for a Terminator T-1000 will not simply fall on one's lap ..., and the race is about to begin. It'll probably turn into a relay race over time, turn into a marathon ...

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:40:46 PM »
Why all the "camouflage" then?

To try to hide the lack of substance?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
Why all the "camouflage" then?

To try to hide the lack of substance?

Yeah, ... I suppose, ... probably, maybe::)

Offline SixRingz

• Helpful? 0
  • Bit's and pc's = Robot.
    • ManMachineSystem
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
Westerners read my web pages, and sysops, and others of similar style and content, and the mind becomes, for lack of a better word, numb. But I imagine a really smart Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology student reading this post of mine. Five years from today it is this student who, because of what he or she read over the internet one day, writes the paper of Paper, submits it to Nature magazine, and it is he or she who is honored with the Nobel Prize. Every Western student in college today has been trumped, and of course humiliated. Westerners really, ... they think they're just, oh! so! smart ...! 

Well, when I read the stuff on that page I'm getting the feeling it's your mind that seems a bit numb...
Westerners are stupid bla bla bla, sorry to say but the truth is that anyone that generalize over people like that can't be of higher understanding or education. But you got peoples attention here at least and, crazy or not, I like things that challenge what we are used to.
Grounding things properly means burying them in the backyard...

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
Yeah, ... I suppose, ... probably, maybe::)

Not maybe, almost certainly.  There is only one reason to deliberately obfuscate your point while simultaneously publicly releasing it: the obfuscation makes your points impervious to criticism, but it also invalidates any credibility you might have had.  There's nothing to be gained by trying to make it difficult for people to understand your ideas, unless, of course, you're trying to pretend your ideas are meaningful when they really aren't insightful or special at all.

Westerners read my web pages, and sysops, and others of similar style and content, and the mind becomes, for lack of a better word, numb. But I imagine a really smart Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology student reading this post of mine. Five years from today it is this student who, because of what he or she read over the internet one day, writes the paper of Paper, submits it to Nature magazine, and it is he or she who is honored with the Nobel Prize. Every Western student in college today has been trumped, and of course humiliated. Westerners really, ... they think they're just, oh! so! smart ...!

And I'm really not sure what to make of this.  First off, you seem to be criticizing a group of people for thinking they are smart while simultaneously proclaiming that your work is so brilliant it has the potential to inspire others into winning a Nobel Prize.  Secondly, why would scientists in the Western world (let alone every college student in the Western world) be humiliated to see someone win a Nobel Prize?  I sense a great deal of prejudice in this sentiment, and, perhaps more disturbingly, a hint of smug satisfaction in the vein of "hah, someone from outside the Western world will win a Nobel Prize...that'll show 'em all; that'll make them ashamed and feel stupid!"  Is that what you really believe?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
bens, Sixringz,  you're both right, correct. Wow!  ???

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
To sum up the above posts . . .

Science is about taking a very complex phenomenon and describing it in very simple words . . . poetry is taking a very simple phenomenon and describing it in very complex words . . .

And what if I wrote all my articles on SoR but never showed a single robot I've made? No street cred! :P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list