go away spammer

Author Topic: cable tram  (Read 2583 times)

Offline TMACSTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
cable tram
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
Hello all, I am looking for help and do not know where to start (until I found this site).
I am starting a project and need to construct a radio controlled cable car or tram.  This should be reversable and variable speed in operation.  I would need to pull / carry about 5 pounds.  Is there an exsisting kit or tutorial that may lead me in the right direction?  Better yet, can anyone out there lend me a written hand?  Thanks, T-MACS

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
Re: cable tram
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »
If you are going with a rail transport design there's little need for RC.
You can control via encoded signals on the tracks.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
if you don't mind it looking a little weird you could even use a model train engine and transformer. Insulate the cable from whatever you are using to hang it and use a tension pulley maybe some rubber glued to the wheels if extra traction is needed. Then you can hang the model train upside down on the cables. Attach the transformer that would normally go on the tracks to the cables. Hmm you'll need four cables I think because the transformer needs 2 full loops for just like the track but you could easily mount some rubber or plastic pulleys on the other cables for extra support and stability. Might have to use a bigger scale train to get the pulling power you need but you might get more power transfer with the rubber on the wheels and a tension pulley on top. If it slips just get a bigger spring and apply more tension to the pulley.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
Depending on how big you need it, and how much you want to spend, they make cable car kits for people who model rail road. It comes with a base station which has the controls and the motor, the cable, a car, and a pulley for the other end.
All you would need to do is connect a RC receiver to the controls if you so wanted to do so.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline TMACSTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
Hmm, thanks for the input.  I'll look into the cable car kits.  Don't think that will cut the gravy but should give me some engineering ideas.  In a perfect world, I'd like this this operate remotely, battery operated and somewhat beefy as it will need to support and carry 5 lbs (ish). 

Get Your Ad Here

data_list