General Misc > For Sale

Sales/swap/exchange section in the forum??

<< < (2/4) > >>

heinz357:

--- Quote ---I think the only problem is if a lot of the people are like me on this site... they'll keep things because they'll "use them eventually".
--- End quote ---

Yes, I agree entirely with this statement, and must plead Guilty, to being a hoarder in the first degree!!

...but surely, you must agree, theres almost no sensation worse, than spending hours trawling through the net to find the items you need, only to find they're either Out Of Stock, or worse still, the P+P charges are more than the value of the component in question?!

I'm getting a feeling that, much like pc enthusiasts, the robot community tends to move with the times, always looking to better their previous acheivment, and as such, many initially vital basic components are superceded, and fall by the wayside in favour of newer, or more project specific components?!

I'm sure everyone here, that has passed beyond the level of 'first Bot' has, at least to some degree a Bits Box, with items no longer relevant to the latest project/design, but still useful in their own right, to someone out there!

Having a trading section within the forum, I think would also be to the overall benefit of the forum too, as it may encourage the '2 posts, and gone' type visitors to stick around longer, and for the community as a whole to 'bond' at another level?

ps... Thanks Admin for making this discussion Sticky! ;)

Soeren:
Hi,

--- Quote from: heinz357 on July 01, 2011, 04:53:29 AM ---
--- Quote ---I think the only problem is if a lot of the people are like me on this site... they'll keep things because they'll "use them eventually".
--- End quote ---

Yes, I agree entirely with this statement, and must plead Guilty, to being a hoarder in the first degree!!

--- End quote ---
Plus one  ;D

--- Quote from: heinz357 on July 01, 2011, 04:53:29 AM ---I'm sure everyone here, that has passed beyond the level of 'first Bot' has, at least to some degree a Bits Box, with items no longer relevant to the latest project/design, but still useful in their own right, to someone out there!

--- End quote ---
Rule #1  You never know what you need tomorrow.

--- Quote from: heinz357 on July 01, 2011, 04:53:29 AM ---Having a trading section within the forum, I think would also be to the overall benefit of the forum too, as it may encourage the '2 posts, and gone' type visitors to stick around longer, and for the community as a whole to 'bond' at another level?

--- End quote ---
I think it will fail miserably after a short while.
At another forum, we had a tread dedicated to "I have... who wants it", where you'd then need to put something up for give-away when you claimed a post/give-away - but even that died out in a fairly short time.

Further, according to Rule #1, I don't part with stuff I can think of even the most remote use for, just for plain mammon (swaps might convince me though), but if I see an "I need this and cannot find/afford it" request, I help as far as it's possible for me (if I have the the part(s) and they aren't selected for something already).

So, if you make a request, on the Misc-board, telling what you need, what you're willing to pay or what you might have to swap with, that  you're ready to pay shipment etc. I'm sure it'll work just as well as dedicating a board to what will probably sizzle out to less than a post a month (even though I'm a big fan of keeping posts organized in boards).

If anything should be changed, I'd personally much rather see a blog function, as the use of the boards as personal blogs are gaining in a most un-charming way. I seldom read blogs of any kind (since I really don't need to know when Joe Random burns a controller, or his uncle have problems with delayed shipment) and it's kinda annoying that the boards spill over with them - Get the idea, refine it, Build it and then document it with just the needed details to reconstruct it and nothing else - Good information is condensed information.

totalis:
I can see it being useful, especially if you could comment on the product. This would allow 'where do I get x?' Threads. Useful for different locales aswell...

I do have some stuff I want to sell, and buying tested hardware is always a good thing.

Only downside I can think of is spammers...

T

Admin:
But . . . by selling off your redundant junk you *may* have a use for, you could use the money to buy something nice ;D

--- Quote ---Only downside I can think of is spammers...
--- End quote ---
Spammers don't last on SoR more than a few hours. I spend 30 min a day fighting them off, so no worries ;D

totalis:
So that means i can think of no reason why not.

Do for it ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version