go away spammer

Author Topic: Dispatches from IROS2012  (Read 1648 times)

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Dispatches from IROS2012
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:06 AM »
Hi all,

I'm in Portugal right now at the International Conference on Robotics and Intelligent Systems (IROS).  There are some cool happenings going on in the land of robotics!  Some highlights from the first day:

1) An Italian team of researchers has created an autonomous car that was able to drive from Rome to China (13000 km!).  Its vision system is pretty advanced, but it's based entirely on cameras (so no expensive LIDAR), and it was able to perform incredibly well on every type of road condition, from dusty dirt roads with transport trucks kicking up the dust to night driving on a busy highway.  People were even cutting the car off and it still handled itself fine.  Really amazing stuff.

2) The number of robots that were used, and are still being used, in the Fukushima nuclear disaster is intense.  You never really hear about this, but there is a massive project going on, using tele-operation, to explore and classify the site.  There is even a large scale, remote operated construction crew, using large cranes and dumptrucks, without a single person having to be near the site for debris cleanup.  They are projecting that it will take 40 years until the site is cleared up, so there is a lot of time for research and development of these robots.

3) The Aldebaran Nao is creepy.  Seriously creepy. It's that little soccer humanoid picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nao_(robot)  It's adorable, it can talk and understand some voice commands, but it reminds me a lot of those talking turrets from Portal and I'm REALLY starting to think that they are going to be the silent partners in the robot apocalypse :-P  But there are a few of them here and it's actually really cool to get to touch and interact with them

That's all from me!

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Dispatches from IROS2012
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
#1 . . . you say Italians, right? :P
Pretty impressive result!

#2  One of the lead robotics guys from Japan gave a talk at DARPA on Thursday. He bragged about how his robots were able to go higher than one floor, as opposed to the Packbot lol. But he conceded his robots were partially successful because they made heavy use of the data from the Packbots.

Got links to either?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Dispatches from IROS2012
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
For #2, this was posted by IEEE Automation blog back in August 2011... I've been sad that all further progress on Robots + Fukushima has, as mstacho noted, been not publicly documented.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/fukushima-robot-operator-diaries

For example, I've yet to see any news that we have actually looked at the contents of the reactor buildings where stuff happened... This doubly irks me, being a nuclear engineer and a roboticist ;)

Given the prevalence of robots for this task, I would probably bet that no human will see the reactor vessel live until at least 5 years after the event... and probably a full decade.  We'd better get pictures soon though.  (Pictures/analysis of the partially melted core of Three Mile Island are extremely interesting stuff!)
I

Get Your Ad Here

data_list