go away spammer

Author Topic: How to upload a C or C++ Program in Axon Microcontroller  (Read 4898 times)

Offline johncbanTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
How to upload a C or C++ Program in Axon Microcontroller
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »
Hi mates!
I really need your help, its my first time to program micro controllers and our club is so amateur in every robot making steps...
They put me to be a programmer in spite of my major and experience in IT, but I am trying to program a Axon micro controller...
I need your help guys... What is the specific steps in uploading programs made in C++ or C language through AVR Studio - 4...?

I tried the procedure as uploading the boot loader by uploading the Axon.hex from one of the example programs but it didin't work...  ???

I really need and desperately need your help guys...  :'(

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
Re: How to upload a C or C++ Program in Axon Microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:08 AM »
Maybe you should describe what goes wrong? The guide describes how you go from start to end (uploading your program and so on...).

You should go through the guide once again (from the beginning). Then tell us where the process fail, and we'll be able to help you.................

http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/axon_getting_started_software.shtml

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:42 AM »
Thanks for your comply....
I do it in step by step procedure...
but yesterday I am quite surprised that I need an AVR programmer to store such program now I need to reset or delete the bootloader inside the axon so I can store a specialized bootloader by using FBOOt17 than the avr programmer hardware.... any help mates??? on deleting a bootloader in Axon Thanks!

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
Why are you trying to delete the bootloader that's already on the Axon? It's an good bootloader, let it be! You normally upload programs to the Axon, not an bootloader - the bootloader is there so you can upload those programs without actually using an "hardware programmer".

Tel us where in the step by step instructions have you seen something about uploading an bootloader?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
Thanks for your comply mate!

I follow this step:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/axon_getting_started_bootloader.shtml

then I create a boot loader, because the green light isn't on, in addition I also tried to access the boot loader inside the axon through DOS but
unfortunately I didn't know the step. Consequently I just tried to follow a broader step in this page:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/bootloader_50_robot.shtml

Please guide me to delete a bootloader thanks mate i really need your help mates...

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
If you delete the bootloader you can't download programs into your Axon without a hardware programmer.

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »
You can't delete the bootloader with out an hardware programmer and I doubt he has an hardware programmer. I also doubt he actually wants to delete the bootloader.

johncban,
Please explain what you're trying to do with many many more words :) Alternatively you may try posting in two languages (English and whatever your native language is).

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »
Thanks again for your reply mates  :)
Actually I need to reset the bootloader into factory state, I mistakenly upload 3 bootloader (ERP.hex x2 and usb_axon_bootloader.hex).
The main reason I upload the ERP.hex is because I follow the step by mistake and I noticed there was no green light before I upload ERP.hex...
Is there any way I can delete the 3 mistakenly uploaded bootloaders or I can flash it back to a single original (factory) bootloader...?
and how can I program or upload programs in the axon without using a hardware programmer. (honestly, my club teacher and i recently found out we need the hardware programmer, but if there would be a chance we can upload the program by using only the FBOOT17 or the AVR software itself...?)

Really need your help guys and a very much thanks for replies...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:56:42 AM by johncban »

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »
To "reset" it into factory state, I believe you just have to upload axon_tst.hex. Here's the link to it:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/downloads/axon_tst.hex

And dont think about a new bootloader. If you uploaded the three hex-files you described over, its no big deal. Just upload a new one, and it will overwrite the old one. I wouldnt recommend you start messing around with a new bootloader either, just get the .hex files to work (the .hex files you upload with fboot17.exe is not bootloaders).

The bootloader is already programmed into the axon, and you cant remove it or modify it without a hardware programmer.

So the conclusion, if you had any problems with the setup guide to the axon, just start over again.

Btw, Ive had some problems with some of the programs the axon has from the beginning. If you upload this file, http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/downloads/axon_DAQ.hex, and sets up hyperterminal and so on, you'll see that it will probably show you some data showing everything is OK with your axon unit.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »
Thanks for replying Thomas and I am sorry if I didn't immediately reply (busy at school), I tried to upload the hex file you gave to me; however, it prompts: The hex file you've uploaded didn't fit in your microcontroller (now I am using ATAVRISP2 or the hardware programmer). I have no idea in deleting the boot loader inside so I can upload the factory bootloader you've given to me (honestly I didn't know how to use this ATAVRISP 2, I only learning though instructions from FAQ), please again I really need your help guys...  ???

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »
Dont use a programmer. Use the FBOOT17.EXE, and follow the instructions on the tutorial on this site.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
I already use the programmer after I post a new thread; however, I found an instructions using the programmer. I erase the hardware (delete the existing bootloaders), then I program the hex you've given to me and it works, LED status is green and the servo is rotating in loop (stepper motion). But still I am in strong doubts... I hope I am in the right step... since you told me to use the FBOOT17.exe, the hardware programmer is from my club professor, he bought it and told me to study it for the naval research AUVSI contest... but I am determined to learn and ask questions though, please guide me again and I really, really, really appreciate your help guys  :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 03:46:11 AM »
however, it prompts: The hex file you've uploaded didn't fit in your microcontroller (now I am using ATAVRISP2 or the hardware programmer)
It sounds like you didn't set the AVRISP program window for the ATmega640 (the drop down menu).

Get Your Ad Here

data_list