Author Topic: Anyone competing/going to TePRA?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Anyone competing/going to TePRA?
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
I will be competing/visiting the IEEE TePRA Robotics Conference in Massachusetts. There is a small iRobot Create programming/navigation challenge taking place there.

I was wondering if anyone else planned on attending or competing...

http://www.ieeerobot-tepra.org/studentcomp.htm

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Anyone competing/going to TePRA?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
Not that any of you are here....

BUT if you're curious, I'm in the top three (guaranteed money) and am one of the two undefeated teams (about to knock one of us out).

I"ll post more later!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Anyone competing/going to TePRA?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
My university (Worcester Polytechnic Institute, or WPI) placed third and first (I was the third) netting me 80 bucks towards my next robot project :-). I even bet the other guy from my school that he was going to knock me out after I spent 2 hours debugging his bluetooth x.x.

The competition itself was fairly straightforward, and honestly thrown together kinda last minute. They merely gave us iRobot Creates and bluetooth dongles. A thrown together field made out of 2 by 4s had randomly placed chairs/wooden walls and virtual walls throughout the course. The virtual walls were broadcasting at a short range, acting as buoys. Two robots would begin on opposite sides of the course and then would autonomously hunt down these beacons using floor-coverage and obstacle-avoidance algorithms. Honestly I've thought of 50 better ways to do it then mine but my wall oscillating algorithm did quite well. I could have taken first if I didn't get stuck in a canyon (three walls to form an almost rectangle that is closer together, or slightly bigger than the robot) a bit longer than I should have.

It was interesting, interesting enough that I'm thinking of getting my school to host a similar event. We would have a more obstacle intensive course, though.

Oh well, good way to spend 9 hours I suppose. And the 80 bucks is nice :-)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:56:22 PM by Half Shell »