Author Topic: atmega8 lcd and thermometer for begginer  (Read 3585 times)

Offline karlisTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • sctg clans website
atmega8 lcd and thermometer for begginer
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
Hello folks!

Recently i found this wonderfull project (digital thermometer)http://www.pocketmagic.net/?p=473.

Recreating the project was super easy, and it works fine. Now i want to add some more thermometers and make some output, problem is, that i`m not a programmer.
Few years back i did some projects, but no coding from scratch, so i looked up the code, and understood that i cannot modiffy it by my self.

Can some one give me an advice, a good tutorial on lcd`s, how to understand them in easy way?

I`m using avr studio 4 and avr isp (chinse rip off)

Thanks in advance.
My best regards.
Karlis

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: atmega8 lcd and thermometer for begginer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
If You cannot modify code, then write from scratch  :) I find it difficult to modify code myself, so I normally don't. Plus, You learn coding and how hardware works much better when doing it Yourself.

Using HD44780 based LCDs article explains how LCD works and how to control it. There are already written libraries that You can use, makes everything much easier.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
    • sctg clans website
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
Thanks for your input newInRobotics.

The link you gave was interesting, but it doesnt solve my programming issue, everything i have learned from electronics / programming is from modiffying / editing others work, in this case, the code is what i do not understand, and cant find any usefull tutorial how to do it right, google thinks that i want to build a phone and provides lame tutorials about nokia lcds X_X

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
Which part exactly You do not understand?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
    • sctg clans website
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Well, i found place in code where to edit the text string, tried to change the accuracy of reading from  4 digits behind dot, to one, ok i understand that its not directly related to lcd programming but with ds18b20 sensor

I read that partk of code where string output is made, and cannot understand why and what is this last digit in [] brackets, as the nummber changes with increment +1 its some kind of counter, but cant find out for what, lcd refresh rate ?

Other thing what i do not understand is how to add other ds18b20 sensors to the code, should i make another c file, like T1.c t2.c etc and change the ports and variables ? would this work corectly?

• Helpful? 0
    • sctg clans website
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
so there`s no easy way to understanding this ?

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:58 AM »
I do not have time to analyse tutorials code at the moment, having that said, if I were You, I wouldn't try to modify it at all. I would try to understand how each component work and try to write my own code based on tutorial code (no copy paste). That's the best I can advice to You at this time.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list