Author Topic: Material Identification  (Read 2418 times)

Offline frid4yTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Material Identification
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »
Hello there.

Does anyone knows a device that can be used to detect the material which an object is made of? Actually i have found that measuring the emissivity and comparing the results can determine the material with an error of 1% but the device is big enough for a robot to carry and i am building a slightly low weight robot. Also the device is 19inch big and needs 230V AC power supply to work and i don't want to get involved with an inverter. Please let me know if you have something in mind.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Material Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »
Hmmmm what range of materials are we talking about? The difference between plastic and steel - or the quantization of carbon percentages within steel? :P

As for 230V AC . . . I'm betting there is a transformer in the device already. Find the output of that transformer, remove it, then apply the appropriate voltage with a battery to those wires.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
we are talking about metal, plastic and wood. these are the 3 categories of material that the robot shall gather. i have found the emissivity of these materials, but i still don't know if the device needs an external IR thermometer in order to calculate the emissivity at the current temperature.

so the only thing i have to do is remove the power supply box of the device and connect it directly to my batteries. nice. hope it works. still haven't got an answer from the company about the temperature thing. thank you very much. your advice gave new aspects to look at in creating the robot. do you know how much current a device like that could demand? they don't write a thing about that in the specs. not even watt consumed. nothing!!! i send them an e-mail but stilll nothing. thanks again.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
Well, I have zero info on the device, but I seriously doubt it consumes more than 1A if it just measures emissivity. Nothing any battery and voltage regulator couldn't handle.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
thank you very much for your help. i really appreciate it.

Get Your Ad Here