go away spammer

Author Topic: Need help selecting an RC transmitter  (Read 2400 times)

Offline pterrusTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Need help selecting an RC transmitter
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »
So I recently acquired this thing for cheap and the plan is to mount an arm kit or something to it and make it into an RC robot.  What I need is a transmitter that has at least 4 channels (2 for drive/steering and at least 2 for the arm servos).

The problem is I'm a total RC noob and have no idea what to buy.  I gather the crystal on my base is 27.145 MHz.  I've looked at stuff like the FlySky FS-T6 but it's unclear to me that this will do what I want.  When it says 2.4 GHz, is that the crystal frequency or something else?  Should I not be looking at digital transmitters?  Am I even asking the right questions?  Googling isn't getting me anywhere, so any recommendations/clarification would be helpful!

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
Re: Need help selecting an RC transmitter
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:00:20 AM »
2.4 GHz would be the frequency it transmits on, and you seem to think that your vehicle receives on a frequency of 27.145 MHz. That's not going to work.

Digital vs. analog transmitters?  You need to find out what your receiver needs and then get a transmitter to match. If the thing you bought is one of those low cost RC vehicles with a receiver that connects directly to DC motors (and not RC servos) it may be more work than you think.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
That's what I was afraid of.  Let's say I do find a transmitter that transmits on 27.145 MHz.  Can I reasonably expect that it will be able to talk to the chepo RC truck base?  Or is it likely to want commands in some proprietary format?

I am trying to avoid building my own motor controller if I can help it, in case that wasn't obvious.  I've done it before, but it was a pain.  :)

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
Without know what RC receiver is in that truck and how the motors are controller we really can not make suggestions.
If there is a separate motor control circuit that uses a 'standard' Servo control signal (1-2ms pulse every 20ms) then you can replace the existing RC receiver with the one that matches the FlySky T6.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I think I'm going to buy this one.  If it doesn't happen to work out of the box (seems unlikely) then I'll figure something else out.

Get Your Ad Here