General Misc > Misc

Hello from a new guy, here's a little about me....

<< < (2/2)

Ro-Bot-X:
Well now... there is a new guy here.

Hello everyone!

I am Gabriel from Romania. I have lived in US for 5 and a half years and got this incurably deceased: robotics. Not a beginner anymore, I still have a lot to learn. I also feel that I have stuff to share.

I have started a robotics group on yahoo for my fellow Romanians to help spreading the disease  :P. I also activate in several robotics groups and on a Romanian AI forum. There is a lack of info about robotics in Romania and not all speak English enough to understand the tutorials and data sheets, so I am working on translating in Romanian as much info as I can. I will ask the admin to let me translate some of his tutorials in Romanian, referring him as the author.

My first robots were made out of Lego and I have learned a lot with them so I could move along to other projects. I have participated in lots of Lego competitions (including BrickFest 2003 and 2004) while in the US and I am the creator of some cool robots. I should mention a 2 canted wheels balancing robot for line following, a mechanical maze robot with only a motor and a battery box, a mechanical sumo robot, a one motor and one light sensor line follower and a bunch of other robots.

As my experience increased, I have started to use other microcontrollers with Lego and just before I have returned to Romania I decided to build a starter kit somewhat similar to BOE Bot to be able to teach robotics to people in my country. The kit got too expensive than anyone can afford in Romania, so I had to redesign it to use only parts available there. Right now it is in stasis because of lack of gears availability and means to produce the plastic chassis. I wish I had a CNC...

I am also working on a bigger robot, a personal project, a robot with 2 arms, on-board computer vision, speech, AI and whatever I can fit on it. Right now it is in a second rebuilding stage, as I am using a computer motherboard on top of a ER1 kit. I will probably end up redesign it from scratch (or building a new one) to optimise it. My biggest problem is programming it, because I am not a programmer (nor an engineer). And the project advances slow because I work full time and have a wife and a young daughter to tend to.

Enough about me, now let me say this site and forum are amassing! I wish I had found them earlier when I had so much trouble figuring out how things are working. I hope I will someday be able to have a site like this in Romanian. See you soon!

ed1380:
what part of romania? I've been 100meters from the romanian border on the ukraine side

Ro-Bot-X:
I live in Sibiu city, wich is located in the southern part of Transilvania region of Romania.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version