Author Topic: Flying BattleBot Build  (Read 2519 times)

Offline BattleBotBoy09Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Flying BattleBot Build
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
This is my first post, I will give a brief background because I have some very specific questions I would like answered and would love to hear what everyone take on this idea.

My friends and I would arguing the other day, and they said you could never built a flying robot that with an emp charge. All I have to do is develop a robot to fly in, blast switch the emp on and fly out. i have figure out a way to make a small emp, and also protect my robot from it but I can't build the robot.

Starters, I have never built a robot, or studied any type of C++ or other computer programming languages. I am a robot noob. I am studying to become a chemical engineer, so math wise I am pretty good. I have download a 3D Cad program to begin with specs, and develop the idea before constructing the model.

May questions include,
 What kind of microcontroller should I use for a flying robot?
 Is there a type of metal better then titanium, for flying robots?
 I also have alot of old and spare computer parts, alot, what could I use this for?
 Is there a program I can use to control the robot from my laptop?
 Any advice?

This may seemed far fetched or take a while, but I have time, and I have a good idea I think but you guys can tell me what you think.

Thanks

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Flying BattleBot Build
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Hi there and welcome :)

Any that fits the bill  ;D In other words, any microcontroller that You feel comfortable working with and that can fullfill tasks required to controll flying EMP cannon  ;D

Aluminium. Although, there are other, more suitable, materials to use for a flying device.

Not for flying EMP  ;D but in all seriousness - there are loads, just look around. Another option is write one Yourself, that way You get exactly what You want to get.

Any advice?
You don't want to know it  ;D
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
You might want to check on the legal issues with building and discharging a EMP device since many regulations stipulate a device may not cause interference to other devices. Since an EMPs primary purpose is to cause interference you could run into legal issues. Sounds like a fun project though!

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:56:55 AM »
Hello

Like nIR said; anything that fits the bill.

Titanium/[insert other metal here] would be too heavy, and expensive to use.
Wood and plastic are both strong , light , and comparatively easy to work with.
Balsa wood is light and strong and flexible.
Use Titanium when you want to build an Iron Man clone  :P

I also have alot of old and spare computer parts, alot, what could I use this for?
Mostly no use at all, but you might be able to salvage some capacitors from PSUs and motherboards.
Capacitor-resistor pairs can be used to make an EMF (Electro-magnetic field).
Anything that generates EMP / EMF is going to be large and heavy, and they eat batteries FAST
You can get big capacitors from Disposable cameras with flash.

Probably quite a few , but if you do create an EMF/P it'll perma-erase your harddrive lol

Any advice?
Consult your lawyer  :P

You might want to check on the legal issues with building and discharging a EMP device since many regulations stipulate a device may not cause interference to other devices. Since an EMPs primary purpose is to cause interference you could run into legal issues. Sounds like a fun project though!

Also read some of the tutorials on the mainsite

Hope this helps

Voyager

And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Get Your Ad Here