Author Topic: Dual geared motor  (Read 1735 times)

Offline drinuTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Dual geared motor
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »
Hi all,

I am going to build a robotic arm for my end of year school project. Now I am not sure if I can connect two worm gear motors in parallel as shown in the diagram attached. Please can someone advice?

Thanks in advance.

Offline ROBOT420

• Helpful? 0
  • The Geeks shall inherit the earth!!
Re: Dual geared motor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »
I don't see why not. Good luck with it! :D

Don't know jack, but want to know it ALL....let the journey begin!

Offline drinuTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
Because I read that if the speed is not accurately synchronized, one of the motors will be applying more force, thus wearing faster.

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Because I read that if the speed is not accurately synchronized, one of the motors will be applying more force, thus wearing faster.
well that is true. Unless you are using servo motors (to exactly know the position of the shaft) there is always a chance that one motor might move faster than other and cause trouble.
here's what you can do. If your movement is restricted ( not complete 360) attach a potentiometer to the shaft of each motor. Since the voltage output from the rotary pot will be propotional to the position of the shaft, you can always know (using ADC from your controller) which motor is going faster, and adjust the motor speed with PWM.
If the movement is not restricted (full 360 degree) use optical encoders for the same purpose listed above.
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

Get Your Ad Here