go away spammer

Author Topic: Best sensor for detecting small and close objects  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Weird FishesTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Best sensor for detecting small and close objects
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
I am trying to figure out which type of sensor (and which model too, I suppose) would work the bet for detecting small objects (Lego bricks) on a white colour board by an autonomous robotic arm that will be approximately 5-10 cm from the ground(tip of sensor to board). What I don't know is whether a given sensor will be able to detect the brick, and be fairly accurate about it's position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Best sensor for detecting small and close objects
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
You might want to look into roborealm ( http://www.roborealm.com/ ). It uses a webcam and a laptop to process images. The other option is using a ir range finder like this...

[youtube]vbhMuPF0Qj4[/youtube]
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
does this sensor need to detect the color or the distance of the brick? have you considered sonar?
Howdy

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:37:22 AM »
hey if its coloured devce ..i can help u with image processing..i have devised a method for blob detection in opencv ...it really works gr8..and yes its faster then roborealm..
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline Weird FishesTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
It doesn't need to detect colour. I've built a colour sensor already, and if I decide to include it it won't be on the end of the arm. I just ordered a sonar sensor from Pololu that claims it can detect small objects up to and touching it's face. I also have an IR sensor, so maybe I'll pair them. The IR sensor wasn't working very well before, but I think the voltage was out of range.

As for the camera, I don't think that's the best fit for this project(at least for now). I'm using an atmega168 and have little camera experience. Maybe version 3(this would be version 2 :P).

Thanks

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
Perhaps think in stages. If you have a sonar sensor that gives you rough location, perhaps you can then supplement with a beam-break (IR or visible) sensor right on the robot arm.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list