go away spammer

Author Topic: Motor control...New at this...  (Read 2041 times)

Offline TRIAL_and_TERRORTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Motor control...New at this...
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
So the noob that I am I have found myself buried in books and searching online schematics to no avail.  Essentially I have two 24vdc motors from a wheel chair that I need to come up with some sort of controller for.  I tested the motors and they peak free load at about 40A and confirmed that the manufacturer had a 60A controller on board.  I would like to create my own H-bridge (reversible dual channel) to help save cost as well as ease of replacing parts. 

I wanted to just use relays, but heard that MOSFETS can be incorporated to create the effect of speed control?  I am way to knew at electronics and am having trouble finding a parts list or schematic that also spells everything out.

What I would like to accomplish is an 80A peak dual channel reversible hbridge that would allow speed control without having to spend $200.00 on a commercial one.

Does anyone out there have any insight on how to accomplish this and/opr what components to use?  Also suggestions on circuit protection...oh and everything I have read about always leads to programming...can this be done without having to program???

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Motor control...New at this...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
Did you search the forms here for wheel chair motors?
Relay motor control?
This has been asked and discussed several times.

Offline TRIAL_and_TERRORTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Motor control...New at this...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
I think I may have stumbled upon a solution on one of the home page tutorials actually.  And to answer your question, I have searched briefly here and extensively on the web.  I think my biggest issue admittedly is the technical terms that get me. 

Anyways, The solution I found showed the use of just 4 MOSFET's per each motor and had a relative simplistic description to go along with the diagrams.  I also found a 55v 64A MOSFET available through radio shack.  It listed the 64A as ID though...not sure what the ID means yet...but have an idea which tells me I should be ok.

My biggest down fall was everything I found that seemed obtainable ultimately mentioned "logic" and "programming" and that's where I went even further off the track.  I think I may be on to something with what I found though.  Didn't mention the necessity of relays and said there should be built in diodes...

Further more, I intend to make use of a VEX robotics radio/receiver that I have from awhile ago.  From my understanding just wire each of the MOSFETS to the receiver to energize the 24v circuit.  Past experience tells me that it will be easier said than done!

Get Your Ad Here