Author Topic: 50 dollar robot  (Read 4727 times)

Offline HardLiquorTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
50 dollar robot
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
 Newbie here...I have some vintage programming knowledge and not much on the electronics side of the house.  Am very interested in robots and have been for some time.  This site is amazing and kudos to thetalented gentleman who has put it together. 

I've read the 50 robot tutorial and have ordered some of the basic components.  I was at a bit of a tossup wheter to buy a board ready to go or to build my own.  I've opted to try to build my own for a first go just for the challenge of doing it. 

I'm wondering though if the 50 dollar robot platform will support Bluetooth integration?  My ultimate short term goal in the world of robots is to build something of a security robot that can stream live footage to the web while doing either autonomous patrol indoors or remote control via web interface and Bluetooth.  Have no clue how to get to that point past the 50 robot but certainly see the 50 dollar robot as a fun and essential step in learning the very basics of this exciting hobby.

Forgive any errors...am writing from my iPhone.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: 50 dollar robot
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
Newbie here...I have some vintage programming knowledge and not much on the electronics side of the house.  Am very interested in robots and have been for some time.  This site is amazing and kudos to thetalented gentleman who has put it together. 
Heil Admin.

I've read the 50 robot tutorial and have ordered some of the basic components.  I was at a bit of a tossup whether to buy a board ready to go or to build my own.  I've opted to try to build my own for a first go just for the challenge of doing it. 
Well, personally i support building you own boards... This is because:
1. You generally gain more knowledge about how the board works and soldering etc...
2. It's normally much cheaper than buying the equivalent board pre-made.
3. you can customize the board to your needs, need some more pins? Solder them in!

I'm wondering though if the 50 dollar robot platform will support Bluetooth integration?  My ultimate short term goal in the world of robots is to build something of a security robot that can stream live footage to the web while doing either autonomous patrol indoors or remote control via web interface and Bluetooth.  Have no clue how to get to that point past the 50 robot but certainly see the 50 dollar robot as a fun and essential step in learning the very basics of this exciting hobby.
Forgive any errors...am writing from my iPhone.
Well, bluetooth is completely possible with the $50 robot, you need uart for this.
The atmega8 has uart pins. Although, video streaming is a task...
Do you expect the robot to act on the video stream or just pass it on?
If it is the latter your better off using a wireless camera.
If its the first option, lots of stuff around here to help ya :)
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
Thanks Smash...

I haven't ordered the microcontroller yet...so I'll find me one of them ATMEGA8's!  Thanks for the tip. Any particular bluetooth component I should look to get to connect to it?

As to the camera...at first I'm just interested in passing the video signal on so that it can be viewed remotely.  Eventually I'd like to trying some tracking but not now, so the wireless camera sounds like a good and simple idea.  I guess all it would need to do is connect to the power bus?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
Yep, to send wireless video just power the transmitter off the power bus.
If you are looking to send bluetooth info to your pc then something like the bluesmirf.
You should check out two tutorials in particular.
Uart: http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_uart.shtml
Bluetooth: http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_bluetooth_robot.shtml
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
THanks again Smash...I've got a lot of reading to do.  I'm still in awe of Mr. Palmisano's ERP...for both it's artful form and function!  I must say, the knowledge required on the electronics end is very overwhelming, but I'm committed to learning enough to get me running.

Is there a 'plug and play' type bluesmirf component or do I need to construct the full device like in the one video?  In studying the tutorials, I see how to make the pos/ground connections from the bluesmirf to the power bus and likewise the I/O from the bluesmirf to the UART.  I don't see how the antenna is then connected to the bluesmirf?

The more I read this over and over the more it begins to make sense.  Now if I can just apply my mental theory to practical application!  I'll probably find myself well prepared to construct a proper device only to find myself hitting a wall on the programming end where I have yet to commit to any research!  LOL 

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
The antenna is either inbuilt on the board as a trace or is an external wire soldered onto the board.
There are bluetooth boards that just require plugging into rx/tx/+v/gnd and they go, ill see if i can find one.
I think i found one: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=158
http://wiring.org.co/learning/tutorials/bluetooth/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:26:08 PM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:40:05 PM »
The board smash posted looks great and is the one admin uses.

and i have to say that the http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=145 antenna is also good. and the way you can attach different antennas depending on size restraints and the like is also a good feature.

Get Your Ad Here