go away spammer

Author Topic: How to implement a robot into a science fair proj.  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Selenaut-14Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Making the $125 robot...
How to implement a robot into a science fair proj.
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
Drawing a blank for projects that would have hypotheses. Anyone got a good one?
The answer is always yes if it is never no.
--------------
SKILLS:

Building- great
Coding/programming- good
circuitry- pitiful

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: How to implement a robot into a science fair proj.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
I dunno about your science fairs, but at the ones I've been to, the judges typically favor anything that develops new technology, regardless or not there is a hypothesis or not. So, you could make a new (ish) type of robot and run experiments on it.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »
come up with a robot in response to a problem. that is how all great robot come about. not good but great!

there is no point to build a robot that reads the time out allowed and call it ground breaking, any robotics hobbyist with average programming skills and the right hardware can do that overnight.

a great project would be a ground breaking project, something original not been done before. keep this in mind that a project like this is incredibly difficult, expensive and not to mention time consuming therefore it would not be good or practical for a science fair project.

a good science fair project will have aspects of science incorporated in the design. will be relativity new and show a good amount of work for the appropriate time spent. it doesn't have to be an original concept, it could be further development in the hardware used or the way in which you approach the programming side that is what you focus on.

if you want come back with some ideas about what you could possibly do. give us the time frame that you have, and some other details like age or year level so we can estimate the standard/ or amount needed.

and remember there people here on the forum are always willing to help to extend and further people robotics ventures

good luck with the brain storming

Jesse Stewart

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I have until December. I am a freshman, but I am also in a special program that's like I'm in 9th grade, but I'm taught 11th grade stuff.

I have lots of ideas, but I can't think of one that has a hypothesis. However, I think I can make an engineering project.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:31:52 PM by Selenaut-14 »
--------------
SKILLS:

Building- great
Coding/programming- good
circuitry- pitiful

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
well post a few ideas and i am sure the people on SOR will be able to help you manipulate the question to for fill the criteria.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
Okay, I'm back. I think that I'll be much more capable of creating a science fair out of this if I have an LCD data display on top of the robot, so I've found a very nice little display with 128x128 pixels in a 1.2" square space. I think that if I can find something useful to do as a project, it will need some sort of display. That's why the $50 robot is quickly pushing $125.  :-\
--------------
SKILLS:

Building- great
Coding/programming- good
circuitry- pitiful

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
GOOD NEWS!! I can do an enginering project. All I need to do is convince my parents of it (they don't believe in engineering projects for science fairs... even though the project would be in a subcategory of Electrical Engineering).
--------------
SKILLS:

Building- great
Coding/programming- good
circuitry- pitiful

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
that good to hear, greatly widens the possibilities.

just remember what engineering is. the application of the science to create something useful or to solve a problem.

so you could identify a problem, come up with a way to help or a solution and present your findings. the final product doesn't have to be full scale. you could present a scale model(working would be more appealing) of your design to demon straight how it is going to work and how it for fills your original criteria.

if you do an engineering project make sure you follow the engineering design process as later on you will have much more documentation that you can present to show the work you have put in. it will be a far more convincing and appealing display and project that way.

Get Your Ad Here