go away spammer

Author Topic: Custom camera mount construction materials ideas?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline ceruleanplainsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
Custom camera mount construction materials ideas?
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:05:01 PM »
Hello -

I'm currently working on my UUROV (Unmanned-underwater remotely operated vehicle) project and am looking for some suggestions at improving the camera mount design. 

The camera is a Logitech Quickcam Communicate Deluxe 2" OD and is mounted inside 4.5" OD / 4.25" ID acrylic pipe.

This "design" uses two 2" thick Styrofoam pieces sandwiched together into a cylindrical form around the camera to stabilize its motion.  It however has a few problems:

A.) Styrofoam is an insulator and absorbs heat from the camera storing it around the camera (not good for long duration)
B.) inconsistent diameter due to shaping by hand (with x-acto knives)

It was obviously cheap and relatively easy to build and I'm looking for some ideas for something similar (great for prototyping).  Nominally I will have a camera tilt system go through + 180 and -180 degrees with prepositioning set options using encoders.  I'm thinking about adding a 3rd section of foam as a prototype around a servo to enable this functionality.

I have considered using some balsa rods with a wooden cam-like design to also hold the camera in place.  If you have any suggestions on materials or designs feel free to post.

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
Re: Custom camera mount construction materials ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:52:33 PM »
What is the case of your camera made out of?

If it is metal, I would attempt soldering aluminum pins to the camera to make it look like the lowercase T. Then you can braze/weld the other end of the pin to a nut, and you can drill holes in the Pipe, drop a bolt through the hole, and screw it through the nut, before securing it on the other side. use Epoxy and whatnot around the seals to waterproof it, and you'll be good to go.

If it is NOT metal, I would suggest the same approach, but instead of soldering, I would use epoxy.

If you know what you're doing with a soldering iron, you'll be alright. I've soldered plenty of sensitive things in my day, so it can be done.

Cheers.
--Cotowar--

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
interesting idea.  i guess i was looking for something less destructive.  the camera case is plastic and i'm not a fan of melting plastic with my soldering iron. 

i'm going to look at some prototyping options with plastic from some professional shops.

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
Substitute the solder with epoxy them. you're all set.
--Cotowar--

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
I was thinking about your problem again, and depending on the diameter of the camera case, you might try a keyring around it, that was pre soldered to an aluminum frame such as i previously described. it will provide excellent stability, and also exchangability.
--Cotowar--

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
that's an interesting idea.  i'll have to figure out how to keep the compression up though the members such that the frame could hold the camera, but i'll explore that a bit with some sketches.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list