General Misc > Misc

Admin's new flying robot

<< < (2/4) > >>

Admin:
Despite what I called the video, the tests were very informative.

I learned that:
- flexible plastic can really absorb a crash
- it is not mechanically stable
- it can actually fly
- it won't break despite using cheap components (saving me time/money)

--- Quote ---Perhaps market it as a device for airing your bed sheets
--- End quote ---
lol . . . the soft sheets were intended to soften a crash . . . but instead they got sucked into the blades and were slightly scuffled up . . . if you look carefully, you'll see a cloud of haze come out of the fan as it crashed :-\

I'm thinking of making a ball-shaped wire frame around it so I won't be concerned about crashes during tests and such.

Soeren:

--- Quote from: Admin on December 10, 2012, 08:11:29 PM ---I'm thinking of making a ball-shaped wire frame around it so I won't be concerned about crashes during tests and such.

--- End quote ---
I recently saw a toy helicopter of sorts with a large plastic mesh ball around it (nearly bought it out of sheer curiosity :)) - wonder how it affects aerodynamics though.

I'd think that hanging it from a high ceiling in a thin bungie cord (climbing gear shop) would do for initial tests?

ballbreaker:
what if u used the double blades design used in the toy rc helicopters maybe it could provide your desired lift

flokos:
Holy crap , I had the same exact idea i mean the same . The whole box thing and the ducted fans on the sides a year ago but didnt had money.So whats my opinion ? thats is cool stuff .What you need to do to make it better is to put the fans away from the box make it look like small wings and the fans go in the ends . Also you might want to put some flaps with couple of servo moving them to get it stable enough to fly or  make the stand the box goes on bigger  and put 2 more fans . Thats what I thought and when i find money Ill try it .
Keep up the good work I will have an eye on this one .Do you have a blog or something ?

Admin:
This forum thread is the closest I'll get to a 'blog' for it . . . but at some point I'll post up a tutorial on what I learned and how to make it.

And yea, this bot cost me $500 . . . I consider it an investment into my personal education :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version