Author Topic: Source of 26 gauge hook up wire  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Joker94Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
Source of 26 gauge hook up wire
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
I have been having a look around lately for some 26 gauge hook up wire on a spool for a decent price. in assorted colors and all.

There are a lot of different assorted wire spools at places like sparkfun and little bird electronics but they are 24 gauge or heavier. and the only other place i found a spool of 26 gauge hook up wire was an industrial supply store that was selling minimum 1000 feet of 1 color which is defiantly not practical.

does any one know where to get some spools of 26 gauge hook up wire at a decent price

any suggestions are much appreciated.

regards

Joker94

Offline futurrobotech

• Helpful? 0
Re: Source of 26 gauge hook up wire
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:13 AM »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:53:25 AM »
thanks for the link futurrobotech.

out of interest what gauge of wire would people recommend for generally purpose use. e.g. servo harnesses, sensor wiring, and other wiring for smaller robots.

I may have mixed up what gauge i need. for what i have read servo wire (which is a suitable weight for robots) is 22 gauge.

Offline futurrobotech

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »
Yeah I was about to ask you what you were getting 26 gauge. I believe the common wire to use for breadboarding, etc. is 22 gauge. ;)

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
Yeah I was about to ask you what you were getting 26 gauge. I believe the common wire to use for bread boarding, etc. is 22 gauge. ;)

yeah for some reason i thought that the wire that i already had was 24 gauge. but i am obviously mistaken.

the problem is it is really difficult to use with crimp pins and is not that use of friendly when it comes to wiring the robot. there for i want to look for some lighter duty wire.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline offencerobotics

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
i got a big spool of it cheap at the local electric and and pluming store. it was 24 gauge they call it "telephone station wire"

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
what gauge to people use and recommend for general purpose robot/electronics use for things like, wiring sensors, making custom servo harnesses, misc wiring for robots etc?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
I use 22 and 24. Get at least 5 colors (black, red, blue, white, yellow, etc), so you can use a different color for different signals/voltages. It reduces my stupid mistakes ::)

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »
thanks for the reply Admin.

I'll have a look into 22 and 24 gauge wire. and assorted colours as suggested.

It reduces my stupid mistakes

haha yeah. and not to mention debuggin and general practicality.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
Hi,

[...]  and assorted colours as suggested.
If your local shop carries stuff from Velleman they have wiring kits (24AWG) in packets of 10 colors (6m of each color) in both stranded and solid core:

And

If not found locally, many web shops around the world carries Velleman.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
thanks very much soeren. it looks very much suitable. it is very reasonable priced as well.

as for mouser, i am not sure if i was looking at the right stuff(single conductor wire, like the link below) the prices for 100' seem steep? $25 to $40 for 100' of a singal colour.

http://au.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Wire-Single-Conductor/_/N-5ggs?P=1z0wxjoZ1z0z2wq

never the less, they were going to charge $40 shipping to Australia regardless of the weight. even if i order 1 spool.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
Hi,

[...] never the less, they were going to charge $40 shipping to Australia regardless of the weight. even if i order 1 spool.
Yes, shipping is a killer for many web sales, but I'm sure you can find something locally, either in a high street shop or at an Australian based web shop.
Taking an old VHS recorder or similar apart would give you plenty of wire as well (but don't strip the one in your parents living room, they may be less understanding ;))

If not, consider sweet talking an electrician or IT installer to give you scraps of cat5 or cat6 cable ("Ethernet cable", both patch cables=stranded and installation wire=solid core are useful), as they probably toss out lengths of up to a couple of meters every now and then and there's 8 color coded wires in each.

Showing some interest in their work and/or waving a cold can of coke on a hot day would probably get you wire for numerous projects.
(And don't say no to heavier wire/cable - as you grow in robotics so may their current demands).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
thanks Soeren.

I will try to find some other places that stock the 10pack of wire you suggested as that looks suitable for my needs and the prices i have seen so far are very good for the total length.

I already have a few spools of heavier line that i generally use for power lines and power distribution wiring.

Get Your Ad Here