go away spammer

Author Topic: Analog vs Digital Servos  (Read 6666 times)

Offline Steve JoblinTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Analog vs Digital Servos
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »
I am reading an article about servos in the Spring 2007 issue of Robot Magazine where they talk about different attributes of servos.  They state that digital servos only require one pulse and that once it receives a command, it will hold that position until a new command is executed.

If I buy a digital servo and modify it for continous rotation, does that mean that I don't have to keep sending pulses every 20ms... just one "Pulsout" type command one time will keep the servo rotating at that speed until a send a new command?

Seems like everyone would be using digital servos if that was the case... any thoughts?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Analog vs Digital Servos
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »
hmmmm never tried! i dont have any modded digital servos to try on or i would . . . but you know, thats a neat idea! can anyone verify this?

i do know for an unmodded digital servo, you dont need to pulse anywhere near as often as with an analog, and a digital responds much faster . . . but you still might have noise causing false triggering . . .

this will definitely save clock cycles for those intensive applications . . . but otherwise it wont help you much, as you will do the servo pulse in your feedback control loop anyway . . . plus, digital servos are way more expensive than the analog types . . .

for those who dont know about digital servos:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml#digitalanalogservos

Get Your Ad Here

data_list