go away spammer

Author Topic: Resistor value for photoresistor  (Read 1592 times)

Offline y3d1j4Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Resistor value for photoresistor
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »
I am trying to figure out the value for the resistor that are connected to the photoresistor to built my 50$ robot. I read the tutorial on PHOTORESISTOR and found out the is a formula for it
resistor = sqrt(R_dark*R_bright). Then I measure the resistance across the photoresistor on 2 condition , while at dark and bright. I found out the measurement can stand still (varying) for both the condition.
For while at the bright the measurement around 3 Kohm or 340 ohm at sunshine and while at dark sometimes 1,5 M ohm 6ohm (dark cabinet) but sometimes read as OL (over limit). I used the digital multimeter (automated one). Does anybody know why this condition happend ?
What I chose for the resistor value is 70k ohm because R = sqrt ( 3 k x 1.5 M). Is that right ? What will happend if we don't choose the correct value for the resistor

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Resistor value for photoresistor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Hi,

[...] I found out the measurement can stand still (varying) for both the condition.
What do you man by "stand still (varying)"? Sounds like a contradiction :)

For while at the bright the measurement around 3 Kohm or 340 ohm at sunshine
It makes sense that you measure a range, rather than a single value, unless you can set up the bright condition to always be the exact same.

and while at dark sometimes 1,5 M ohm 6ohm (dark cabinet) but sometimes read as OL (over limit). I used the digital multimeter (automated one). Does anybody know why this condition happend ?
Just as with the bright condition, the amount of light hitting the LDR will vary when you change even the slighest amount of door opening etc.
Your DMM probably have a range of 2MOhm max. so when the value read gets above 2MOhm, it will display the overrange condition.

What I chose for the resistor value is 70k ohm because R = sqrt ( 3 k x 1.5 M). Is that right ? What will happend if we don't choose the correct value for the resistor
It should come to 67kOhm with 68kOhm as the nearest standard value

It won't matter much if you get it somewhat off, as the formula you used, finds the value that is an equal percentage from either values, which allow the largest discrepancies while still working as intended.

However...Before you settle for 68k, you might wanna re-measure, using the actual conditions that your 'bot will see. Assuming you're making a line follower, the LDR will be pointing towards the floor and see the light reflected off either light or dark lines/floor, which won't get to the extremes you measured (you aren't gonna run it inside a closed cabinet).

So keep the LDR in a position like it will be on the 'bot and with the same amount of shading from direct light.
Then take a piece of paper (or a light floor tile or whatever you're gonna run it on) and add some black duct tape and measure it "looking" down at both dark and light surfaces and both when in the brightest light it will see and in the dimmest light it will see, for a total of 4 values.
calculate the percentile mean for both the bright and the dim conditions and do it once more for the resulting two valuess - that way you get the best value for any condition you'll run it in.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline y3d1j4Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Resistor value for photoresistor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:02 AM »
Hi Soeren,

Thanks for your help. I understand now.

[...] I found out the measurement can stand still (varying) for both the condition.
What do you man by "stand still (varying)"? Sounds like a contradiction :)

What I meant was the measurement CAN'T stand still  ;D

Thanks again. Still a long way to go to built my 1st 50$ bot

Get Your Ad Here

data_list