go away spammer

Author Topic: Sharp IR Question?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline yankeefan238Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Sharp IR Question?
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
This is part of the data sheet on my IR sensor:

Detecting distance range ΔL (Note 1)(Note 3) 10 cm

Detecting distance L (Note 1)(Note 2)(Note 4) 21 24 27 cm

(Note 1) Using reflective object : White paper (Made by Kodak Co., Ltd. gray cards R-27·white face, reflectance; 90%)
(Note 2) The individual product shall be adjusted to have L = 24 cm ± 3 cm as the distance before shipping detecting.
(Note 3) Possible distance measuring range (of the sensor optics)
(Note 4) Output voltage switch has a hysteresis width. The distance specified by L should be
the distance which the output turns from L to H in case an object moves to the sensor.

I am trying to find how far from the edge of my robot I should place my IR sensor. From this data sheet I gathered that this IR sensor's blind spot is about 3cm. So I should put it about 3cm away from the edge so that I don't crash into any close objects. Is 3cm right? I'm bad at reading these things cause it doesn't flat out say 3cm.

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Sharp IR Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
Hi,

Even if you have a blind spot for the first 3 cm out, nothing would get that close without being detected first.
For another times sake, please state the type number of the sensor, as Sharp has a whole range of distance sensors.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list