Author Topic: How do I increase the speed of my robotic snake?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline yash25Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • The Workshop
How do I increase the speed of my robotic snake?
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
Hi!
I'm building this robotic snake , with 8 servo motors. Out of them , 2 are modified servos and they propel the snake forward ( they've been modified for 360 degrees rotation) and the remaining 6 servos are controlled by a microcontroller board for the coiling action of a snake.
Now my problem is that the snake is'nt able to move  as fast as required (i.e the modified servos aren't able to rotate that fast).
How do I increase the forward motion of my snake? Do I add some more motors or do I replace the modified servos with some other motors?
Also, has anyone tried to build sucha bot before?
Thanks
Yash, India.
Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: How do I increase the speed of my robotic snake?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Bigger wheels and a faster servo will help... but the best way would probably be to replace the servos with gearmotors.

• Helpful? 0
    • The Workshop
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »
Hi. Well I've never used gear motors before. So i barely knoe anything about them. Do they work on six volts like servos? and do they have to be modified too for 360 degrees rotation?

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
They will work on 6v and they dont need to be modified. They are basically just normal electric motors that are geared down for more torque.

Offline arixrobotics

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »
but gear motors require a motor driver. it cannot be directly connected to a uC pin coz they require a lot of current.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:50:45 AM »
They will work on 6v and they dont need to be modified.

It will depend on if he wants to change the direction and controll the motor with presision, if yash25 just wants it to turn in one difrection it won't need a motor driver.

However if he wants it to rotate back and forwards with a MCU he will need a motor conrtoller, you can get an IC chip to do the job for 2 bucks.

They are basically just normal electric motors that are geared down for more torque.

the higher current just provides more torque to a un geared motor, the reason for a gear reduction is to provide more torque at an un modified operating voltage.

• Helpful? 0
    • The Workshop
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »

It will depend on if he wants to change the direction and controll the motor with presision, if yash25 just wants it to turn in one difrection it won't need a motor driver.

However if he wants it to rotate back and forwards with a MCU he will need a motor conrtoller, you can get an IC chip to do the job for 2 bucks.

No im using the motors only to pull my snake in one direction...not changing the direction or anything. So can I connect it directly to four 1.5v pencil cells?
And Im not connecting these motors to an MCU.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »
yes, connecting straight to a battery will do fine , good luck ;D

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »
Hi,

[...] if yash25 just wants it to turn in one difrection it won't need a motor driver.

However if he wants it to rotate back and forwards with a MCU he will need a motor conrtoller, [...]
A motor driver is needed in both cases - the only difference is the complexity of the driver!
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here