go away spammer

Author Topic: Help plzz  (Read 1650 times)

Offline CDUNNTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Help plzz
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:51:54 PM »
First of all i have many questions and wondering if they could be answered. I have just started learning programming In c# and was wondering if It was a good program language to start off with for a 12 yr old beginner. If not can someone make a list of good programming languages in a good order of learning (both robot and computer programming). Secondly when programming a robot if a mistake is made can the code be changed or will the robot be ruined?

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Re: Help plzz
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
First I would recommend C or C++ if you are going to be programming for robots/microcontrollers.  Second, you can make changes to your code, but mistakes could still cause damage to your robot if precautions aren't taken.  For example if your code has a mistake that drives your robot full speed into a wall or off stairs/table/etc you could do damage to your robot.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Redcap

• Helpful? 11
Re: Help plzz
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
Hey CDUNN,

I'm merely stating my personal experience here but...

I went from HTML > PHP > C++ and then got interested in robotics.

I currently use an Arduino (development/programmer board) for my robotics, which has it's own programming language known as, (by memory), Processing. It's similar to C/C++/C#.
There are many other options out there in regards to dev/programmer boards and languages, though :)

Secondly when programming a robot if a mistake is made can the code be changed or will the robot be ruined?
It can be changed, yes :)

Mistakes are bound to happen, but don't be afraid to test if code works correctly, it's a great way to learn :)

I suppose it may be possible to damage mechanical parts if you try to make something move further than it is able to, but you'll quickly notice it and be able to shut it down before any (real) damage occurs, in most cases. (in addition to what knossos has said about tables and walls ;) )

Now, if you get interested in programing/burning bootloaders to microcontrollers, you can risk making the microcontroller no longer able to function**.
In such a case, you just need to buy a new microcontroller chip, it won't wreck all the robot's parts etc.

Hopefully this has helped some.
If you need/would like more info, feel free to ask :)

**There -are- some ways to fix it if it happens, but sometimes the MC's completely bricked.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:24:13 PM by Redcap »

Get Your Ad Here