Author Topic: Axon USB not recognized in windows vista  (Read 3492 times)

Offline jaimeTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Axon USB not recognized in windows vista
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
Hi.  My Axon is not being detected by windows vista.  I don't mean it's being recognized as "unknown" hardware.

It's as if the Axon was never plugged in.  It was working previously and just stopped.

How do I go about debugging this hardware problem?  Be slow, and use small words and detailed instructions, because I'm an extreme electronics neophyte!   ;D

Thanks!
jaime

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Axon USB not recognized in windows vista
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:37:01 AM »
Well, there are two things that are very common with axons not being detected by the pc when they previously were.

1. The axons usb plug has a cold joint, this means that the pins on the usb connector aren't being connected to the board. This can be detected by using a multimeter and placing one lead on the usb pin in the connector and the other lead in the corresponding trace. If there is no connection this is most likely your problem.

2. The cp2102 is fried, this isn't to common but it has happened, check if your 3V3 output pin is working when the board is powered.

Alternatively their have been some axon issues with vista posted on the forum a while ago, search and you may find the problem.
Howdy

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »
I did continuity tests on the USB plugin / traces and everything worked.  But, double check my work!

For continuity, I only checked the 4 silver metal pins coming out of the back of the USB connector.  Is that what I should have checked?

Now, assuming my CP2102 is fried, what is the cheapest/easiest way to restore my usb port on one of the other uarts?

Thanks!
jaime

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
Well assuming its fried you could either:
1. Replace the CP2102 chip (1337 soldering skillz needed) and maybe a hot air rework station.
2. Use other uart with a level shifter break out board or similar item.
3. Use a hardware programmer. (requires purchase of hardware programmer $10-$50)

If you still want usb programming with a cable then you would need to use 1 or 2.
I think another user did this and they just modified the bootloader code for a different uart port but im not sure.
One other thing that springs into my mind is to use an ft232 breakout board and use the arduino mega bootloader that has been modified for the axon chip?
Howdy

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:03:01 AM »
Thanks for your help!

I'm leaning torwards a hardware programmer.  That's the easiest route, right?

With a USB-UART adapter, won't I have to burn in my own boot loader, which will require a programmer anyway?

Or is there a USB-UART adapter that is plug-and-play?

Thanks again!
jaime

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:34 AM »
Yes, a hardware programmer is the easiest to use.
Yes you would need a hardware programmer anyway to burn the modified bootloader onto the microcontroller.
Howdy

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:54:21 AM »
Hi jaime

Review this page, it *may* help:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=8969.0
and comment on any questions that I asked.

I'm out of CP2102 chips however. I probably should buy some and offer a repair service or something . . . (probably ~$15 plus shipping)

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
Thanks!  I just bought a programmer.  The Axon still runs my old code, so I suppose the CP2102 has given up the ghost.  I was powering something on that, and maybe I did something stupid and don't realize it...  (Won't be the first or last time!)

Anyway, I bought a usb programmer that should work :

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9231

It seems simple enough to upload my program using AVRDUDE.

Thanks for the response!
jaime

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »
Hmmmm you are the third person to fry the CP2102 while using the 3.3V line. I didn't think it was that sensitive - I use the line occasionally for sensors and haven't had a problem yet. What did you have connected? I'm trying to figure out if its over-current draw or voltage transients.

I'm going to add a warning to the Axon manual to be extra careful and to add caps.

As for that programmer, you might want to spend an extra $15 for the ISP:
However, this is a low-cost programmer designed for those on a tight budget. For out-of-the-box compatibility with other operating systems and machines, checkout the AVR ISP2 USB programmer from Digikey.

This programmer works really well for ATmega168 and ATmega328 and should work with all the AVR micros supported by AVRDUDE. We've played a bit with the ATtinys but we cannot guarantee that this board will be compatible with anything but ATmega168/328.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »
Hmmmm you are the third person to fry the CP2102 while using the 3.3V line. I didn't think it was that sensitive - I use the line occasionally for sensors and haven't had a problem yet. What did you have connected? I'm trying to figure out if its over-current draw or voltage transients.

It was an RF sensor that a friend had manufactured.  He thought it needed 3.3v at first, but later discovered it needs 5v.

HTH,
jaime

Get Your Ad Here