go away spammer

Author Topic: solder temperature  (Read 1949 times)

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
solder temperature
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
Just wondering: I've never really seen a need to set my soldering station to anything other than maximum power.  Even when doing surface mount with the thinner solder.  Other than the possibility of temperature stressing your boards/components, is there any reason to use lower settings?

Mike
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
Re: solder temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
If nothing else, your tips will last longer.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
You will burn the flux off faster making it harder to solder and possibly a weaker solder joint (as you are not doing as good a job removing oxidation).
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
is there any reason to use lower settings?

It's been a few years but I used to solder professionally (I worked on electronics production line for a short time): Too high a heat has a few risks:
1 - you can melt the material under the copper and have the copper pad lift off the board. A real bummer as it can be near impossible to repair the board if pads are small and close together.
2 - on through-hole parts like connectors the plastic may melt making the insertion of the mating parts tough
3 - this one is a little tenuous and I have no proof, but I have been cautioned that any use of a soldering iron on chip capacitors  risks cracking the ceramic (due to rapid temp change) that will lead to reliability issues down the road. Chip caps (being surface mount) are intended for soldering in the reflow oven which is much more gentle than a soldering iron from a thermal shock point of view. By extension, a hotter soldering iron would increase the thermal shock.
4 - as others said, you'll trash the tip faster

Get Your Ad Here

data_list