go away spammer

Author Topic: What you guys do for work?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline jonwhuntTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
What you guys do for work?
« on: June 08, 2007, 12:59:17 PM »
Hey I was just curious about what you guys do for work and if your job was related to your hobby?  I'm 26 years old and tired of working crappy retail management jobs but I don't know what kind of money is out there for the different fields.  I really wanted to go to college for Biomedical Engineering and work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight and basically anything geared towards combining robotics with the human body.  However the only college near me that offers a four year degree in Biomed only accepts 50 people per year into the program.  After finding that out I thought I would look at getting a degree in electronics so atleast that way I might still be able to work along side the Biomed people in the industry.  Are there many jobs anymore for people with a 2 or 4 year degree in electronics... I mean it seems like most electronics are "throw away" electronics now, everything cost as much to fix as it does to repair.  Just curious if there was any real money left in robotics, unless you wanted to work in an industry/factory making sure the robotic arms worked well enough to put other people out of business lol.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: What you guys do for work?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:13:50 AM »
Hi,

I really wanted to [...] work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight [...]
Well, I work with what you probably would call artificial hearing (direct current injection into the hearing nerves), but I don't really consider this robotics - bionics is the correct term here, since it's only the sensor/detector that's non-biological, while a good oldfashioned human brain (they don't make them like they used to, however ;)) does all the processing.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline pokey

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
As little as possible.

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »
I press the little buttons that say: 1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm.
I also press the buttons that make box light up and brings spongebob to life :P

Mega

Offline Sain

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
Hey I was just curious about what you guys do for work and if your job was related to your hobby?  I'm 26 years old and tired of working crappy retail management jobs but I don't know what kind of money is out there for the different fields.  I really wanted to go to college for Biomedical Engineering and work with robotic limbs for amputees and artificial sight and basically anything geared towards combining robotics with the human body.  However the only college near me that offers a four year degree in Biomed only accepts 50 people per year into the program.  After finding that out I thought I would look at getting a degree in electronics so atleast that way I might still be able to work along side the Biomed people in the industry.  Are there many jobs anymore for people with a 2 or 4 year degree in electronics... I mean it seems like most electronics are "throw away" electronics now, everything cost as much to fix as it does to repair.  Just curious if there was any real money left in robotics, unless you wanted to work in an industry/factory making sure the robotic arms worked well enough to put other people out of business lol.

This may be a good read. http://www.opcareers.org/

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
i have no job... i can legaly workl (14) but i cant, i live in the middle of nowere, and since i cant drive, i cant get anywere

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »
I'm 15, live in Kansas, i have my own lawn mowing "business", i work at a computer camp, and i am looking for another job. I also do odd jobs around the neighborhood, eg. snow shovel, help neighbors with technology things, water, babysit, and dog watch.

so none of my things relate to my hobby.

but my professional career idea is related to this hobby(sort of)
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »
I'm from Chile and I'm studying electronics engineering, aiming for Robotics and Industrial automation.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list