go away spammer

Author Topic: how to make a C .exe file (which software)?  (Read 7680 times)

Offline bootstrapTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
how to make a C .exe file (which software)?
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:40:01 AM »
Hello,
      I have programmed the atmega 8 to the UART communication .I have written the code in C using AVR -GCC and dumped the hex into the microcontroller.I have observed the sent and received data in windows hyperterminal.My doubt is I want creat an .exe file that is run a C program and see the execution in an exe file.I think is option is not there in AVR-GCC.Please tell me what software I have to use to run normal C programs for creating .exe files for say serial communication and image processing.?Is this option there in AVR -GCC or is there any software available freely on the net to do this.?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:40:36 AM by infibit »

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: how to make a C .exe file (which software)?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
Download a program called "Dev-C++". Its what I use to program C++ stuff (works for C also). Its a great program and you can easily compile and run your program with the single click of a button. Ill try to get a link for you.

-EDIT-
http://www.download.com/Bloodshed-Dev-C-/3000-2069_4-10498828.html?tag=lst-1
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:49:37 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
I also use devC++.
I don't think it's a great program, I know much better software for developing code in other languages, but not for C++.

Don't get me wrong, devC++ is a good program, but imho it could be better. But I haven't looked for a better one yet so :D
I think devC++ is downloadable free... check out download.com
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
Well yeah I also know of a vastly superior program but its for writing Java. Its called Eclipse. It is one amazing program especially since its free. Its the best IDE that I know of....... I wonder if I could make some little conversion things to add in syntax for C/C++... I have research to do =D

But yes, DevC++ is a good program. It does what I need it to do :)

And yes it is downloadable free from download.com, hence why I linked to the download.com download link :P
-EDIT-
Ah yeah, I posted the link at pretty much the same time you suggested searching Download.com :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:56:02 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:07:11 AM »
Sweet jesus. They already have a C\C++ version of eclipse... I think my happiness level just shot through the roof... Im downloading a ton of patches and updates for eclipse right now from its internal updater feature including the C\C++ package. Ill report in with how it performs :) :) :)

I love open source
Infantry

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »
wicked!  :D
I've heard some positive stuff about eclipse, but I never used it...that's about to change.  ;)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
Ive just installed a good junk of the updates. Probably about 100 O_O but that was from only one source of updates. I didnt realize I could just select them all and search them all at the same time :)

My eclipse is now searching like 25 open source websites for added features and updates for itself. This is friggin sweet.

Eclipse has been my favorite SDK since I first started using it about 3 or 4 years ago and then I find out theyve been adding to it ever since it was first conceived. I LOVE OPEN SOURCE! *starts foaming at the mouth*
Infantry

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:38:59 AM »
Do you use linux then?
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »
Actually i do on my second machine heh
Infantry

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
DevC++ is the one I wrote my wavefront simulator with.

I used to use CodeWarrior which I really liked but lost my legal copy a few years ago.

I have Eclipse, but it takes forever to load and never really bothered to learn it, and I came close to deleting it a few times . . . I might use it for java stuff for SoR one day . . . since you guys recommend it I'll leave it for now and play with it the next time I need to program an .exe . . .

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 11:14:12 AM »
It only takes about 5 - 10 seconds to load for me. I think the largest single program ive written was only about 1,500 lines of code but I loved it because Eclipse is just so easy to use and extremely friendly on the eyes. Its easy to customize to what you need too.

I may have spoken too soon about the C++ addition. I might have set mine up improperly for the C++ but right now its not doing what it should be. Its not highlighting any of my syntax and wont run my little HelloWorld program that I decided to test it with. Ill look into what is going on and post a fix if I find one.
Infantry

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »
hey and wher to get the updates from ?(i  mean all the patches that you downloaded)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 11:25:02 AM »
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Go to that page and just download the SDKs again. Thats what im doing right now
Infantry

paulstreats

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Okay, ive never used eclipse before, since i have a few different ide's i use for java.

What i'm interested in is this: by reading the posts above, am i right in thinking that eclipse is a compiler that can turn a java files or classes into a .exe file? like a native compiler?

Ive got a native java compiler, but once you run it, the program has to be stored in the same place whenever its installed. Ive used it to produce standalone programs for people but the .exe file can only go into a directory path exactly the same as the one i originally compiled it in. (you also have to include all class paths and jar files along with the .exe)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »
Eclipse does everything for you. You can export executable .jar files.

You write your code in it, compile and run it, export the finished project. It really is a great program.

Perhaps I can write a tutorial on how to use it for Java.... but that would depend on the demand for it :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:58:12 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Thank you people.Now I am a happy programmer as far as creating .exe files using C or C ++ source code is concerned

paulstreats

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »
I would prefer a native compiler, to make java into a .exe. The actual java developer kit contains utilities to compile to excecutable .jar files already, all eclipse would do is utilise this.

I think that eclipse is what the hi-tide ide is based on? if so I already use it for developing C, c++

Currently for java, I use the SUN ONE studio, which used to come with the JDK and also JCreator.

For html, javascript etc.. I use Edit revolution (basically when you push f11, you get an instant view of the web page) - there is no visual editor system because these annoy me and i prefer to just write to a page.

for perl, I use perl express

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:43 PM »
In one particular program for accessign the webcam I require the header file vcl.h .But this one seesm to be missing in eclipse.I searched on the net but wasnt successful in downloading one.Any one ..any idea...

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »
im noticing eclipse doesnt seem to include header files or anything. I still have to search around and figure out what needs to get done to use it correctly :-\

For now, until We can figure out how to get Eclipse working with C/C++ properly, I think you should just go with Dev-C++:
http://www.download.com/Bloodshed-Dev-C-/3000-2069_4-10498828.html?tag=lst-1
Infantry

Get Your Ad Here

data_list