Author Topic: tring to program a micro 12F683  (Read 2768 times)

Offline AdvsNoobTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
tring to program a micro 12F683
« on: September 06, 2009, 06:45:51 AM »
I dont have a serial port in my compute, and i need a RS232 D-Sub connector (female/socket)... anyone no where a cheap find is?

can i use this just to program the micro???

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=23

i found a cord as well but not sure if it will work...

http://www.amazon.com/1-9-Pin-USB-RS232-Cable/dp/B000YAF2YA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252240796&sr=1-24

what i am thinking is that i use the cable from amazon hook it up to the board from sparks fun and add the micro to it... will that allow me to program it with WinPic800??
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:06:23 AM by AdvsNoob »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: tring to program a micro 12F683
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
Hi,

Why not just buy a USB programmer?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

paulstreats

Re: tring to program a micro 12F683
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
If you really want to use serial, you might find that your computer motherboard does have a serial port, its just not connected to a D-sub socket. Mine for example has a row of 2x5 header pins (1 is N/C) on the motherboard that I used to add my own D-sub socket (sometimes the serial outputs are there as solder pads but without headers). Find out your make and model of motherboard then look for the "user manual" to see if there is a serial output anywhere.

Why not just buy a USB programmer?

If you dont already own a programmer or othr equipment requiring serial ports, this is the way to go as serial ports are slowly disappearing. just make sure that it is a USB programmer and not just a USB to Serial cable (the cable wont source the +12v required to put the PIC12F683 into programming mode)

Offline AdvsNoobTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding

Get Your Ad Here

data_list