go away spammer

Author Topic: Need Help Fixing Velleman Micro Bug  (Read 1821 times)

Offline badreligion9265Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need Help Fixing Velleman Micro Bug
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Hello I'm new to the forums and I just was wondering if anyone could help me with solving my current issue. 

I recently bought and assembled a "Velleman Micro Bug"(http://compare.ebay.com/like/290821985360?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar) kit. Originally I wired the motors backwards by mistake so the robot would move backwards instead of forwards.  In attempts to desolder/remove the motors to solder them in properly I damaged the part of the PCB where motor#2's positive lead solders into. Motor #2 no longer works with the robot on but motor#1 does. 

I was thinking there may be some way to use a jumper wire to bypass the damaged PCB section so that the positive lead on motor#2 will be connected properly to the rest of the circuit.  I provided a link which depicts the schematic of the robot so someone can tell me where exactly to place the jumper wire. I would have taken a picture of the actual damage but my camera has no battery, if that is necessary I will provide it later on.  If there is another solution I'm welcome to that idea as well. Thanks for your time.

http://www.esr.co.uk/manuals/manual_mk129.pdf

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Need Help Fixing Velleman Micro Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:41:59 AM »
Your thinking is probably right, but because you need to replace the damage on the board, you have to measure on the board and attach the jumper between two pins/components on the board. If those components are surface-mount, a very finely tipped soldering iron may be needed, too.

Depending on what the damage is, it may be easier to just patch the trace that has been damaged. You may be able to scrape off some solder mask on each side, and patch up the damaged trace so that it makes a connection again.

Else you'll probably need a multimeter (or at least continuity tester) to figure out what parts should be connected, but aren't, and make that connection.

Get Your Ad Here